• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many cacatuoides in a 20 gallon?

W

Westwood

Hi everybody, I recently discovered the wonderful world of apistos so I am looking to find some information. I currently have an empty 20 gallon tank and would love to house a variety of cacatuoides, possibly the "triple red" or "orange flash". What would be the recommended number of fish for this size tank? Would one male and two females be alright along with a small school of tetras and some corys? Or is it possible to house more than a trio together? I am not necessarily looking to breed them but I would like to avoid any major aggression and give the fish the space they deserve. This tank would also be planted and have several driftwood pieces in it. Any input or advice would be appreciated!

apistoguitarra

5 Year Member
I would go with 1m/2f. If you can get a hold of them, you should pick up some whites (also called gold). I have a pair, and they are the most animated fish I have. They always swim around excitedly when I enter the room and come to greet me. Also, their contrasting colors are very striking. CLS on aquabid.com sells them and I think his e-mail is [email protected].

W

Westwood

Hi, thanks for the replies! I actually just saw the white variety on aquabid, those are beautiful as well. I'm still not decided on which type I want, they are all so nice!

I believe the tank is a 20 gallon high, do you think I would have any problems with the male harassing a single female though? I wouldn't mind having just a pair along with some tetras and corys as dithers, but I really don't have much experience as far as their temperment. Thanks again for the help!

farm41

5 Year Member
A pair should get along fine, all fish are individuals though, and can react differently. Provide plenty of hiding spots as well as caves for breeding.

apistoguitarra

5 Year Member
Yeah, you should definetely have plenty of hiding spots, I find PVC works fine. You can use either the black or the white. It looks kind of unnatural at first but once some algae grows on it, it looks good.

David

W

Westwood

Sounds good! The tank is nicely planted but I could definitely add some extra little terracotta pots or pvc pipes to it. Thanks again for the help!

farm41

5 Year Member
I like the terra cotta pots for my tanks, get some java moss growing on them, and they hide real well.

aspen

5 Year Member
some male cacs are very agressive, others are not too agressive, it depends on the male really. i would start with 2 females, providing a good spawning site for each, like a clay pot or coconut half. jave moss, java fern or almost any plant that roots on solid objects will do to hide these things. ime, the quietest corner will provide the best place, and the alpha female will take this spot, leaving the next best place for the next female. i saw a 10 gal with a large male and 5 spawning femlaes and some other babies plus some tetras and cories but the tank was jammed with plants and lots of pots.

good luck, rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….