• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many Apistos in 700 liters?

Greg PL

5 Year Member
my "always in progress" biotope project reached the point where I only have one Echinodorus (barthii?) in the tank. On the surface there are Limnobium and water hiacinth and above it I made a kind of shelve for SA rain forest plants. Philodendron is most expansive, 2 kinds of Anthurium and Spatiphylum also seem to like their feet wet and 2 Marantha species grow very fine. there are some othe other plants there, forgot the latin names for them.
I am still experimenting and watching what goes well. Next step will be orchids.
the shelve is also a biological filter. water from the tank goes through the 10mm gradient substrate and roots of plants.

this way I have a biotope tank and a lot of plants to rest my eyes on - in one place. most of the standard pot plants grow too well and too big in warm, wet surroundings, but I can live with that :) for 2m tank it could also be a nice idea.

Olorin

5 Year Member
That sound serious GregPL, can you post some pictures of you tank? I am not really into the idea of a shelf, but it would be nice to see your setup.

Greg PL

5 Year Member
if somebody told me how to make a good picture of both dark underwater part and bright "higher ground" I'd listen very carefuly ;-)

here are some pictures of the early phase. it's evolving and changing all the time.
http://www.album.astral.pl/album/in...bums=&last_action=browse&alb_title=Paludarium

the "shelve" front is covered with a 1" pressed cork layer and with overhanging vegetation, looking quite natural.
it does make the back of the tank very dark. using white sand diminishes the effect. I am also thinking of some additional back light.

dr.fishy

5 Year Member
I like the setup Greg! It looks to have some really good points about the lighting, ie the back being darker makes for less algae removal, just a simple wipe probably works huh?
Dr. Fishy :)

Olorin

5 Year Member
About taking a good photo of that setup I think the solutions is not to take one photo, but two. Put your camera on a tripod, secure it. Take one shot where the exposure fits the lighter part, then another that fits the darker part. Make sure to take the shots so the surface makes an even straight line, then mix the pictures together in photoshop.

And of course angle your flash so it doesn't reflect as much against the glass. If you don't have a separate flash you can use a mirror or a piece of white plastic or shiny metall to relect the build in flash on your camera to bounce of the ceiling.

Greg PL

5 Year Member
dr.fishy: there's practicaly no algae in this tank. I ocasionaly sweep the front glass, once per month usualy. the tank is sometimes exposed to direct sunlight in the mornings, but the roots of higher plants in the "filter - shelve" take all the substances needed for algae growth.

olorin: thanks for the instructions. you're far more advanced in photography than me :) perhaps I will find someone to implement your plan.

Olorin

5 Year Member
If you take the pictures I can do the photoshop work for you Greg, Just mail me the pictures, I am quick at it (I work part time as a photografer). :biggrin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….