• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hongsloi II had babies, unexpectedly

sundragon

Total novice, my first brood, I'm not prepared :eek:

Brine shrimp was my first thought but it takes a few days to hatch and feed, I don't know how long these little guys have been here so I need to get something tomorrow - Any recommendations on preprepared foods?

Edit: The mom is a total different color now, she's bright lemon colored and she's got fully erect fins all the time. The other female hasn't changed colors, slightly drabber yellow with a pinkish belly... I didn't know they change color when they have babies. I should have realized, she's been super agressive to everything that comes near their cave.

DBlauj

See if you can find some frozen baby brine shrimp or frozen daphnia ( I believe it is small enough for fry but just bought my first packer a few days ago to test out) until you can hatch fresh bbs. You'll want to move them if you plan on growing them out. Congrats btw.

sundragon

Thank you!

I have a 10 gallon tank I use as a quarantine - it takes 10 minutes to set up - how large do they have to be when I transfer? Currently they are all tail and eyes, not much else.

I'll look for the frozen stuff as well. People have mentioned Hikari First bites and golden pearls as well.

DBlauj

I am assuming you mean the fry? If so I've transfered them a couple days after they have become free swimming. Apisto fry are pretty tough little wigglers. From the looks of your video they seem big enough to transfer. I recomend a sponge filter, some java moss (really helps the fry to hide not to mention what ever kind of micro organisms that they can pick off), a heater and water changes. I was doing 2-3x water changes a week on my Caca fry. As for the Hikari first bites and golden pearls I have never used them with fry before although all my frozen foods I buy are Hikari. GL.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Congratulations - and good luck with the fry. And don't worry, if you are not quite prepared this time, if all goes well, your hongsloi should spawn again, and you can make sure you have what you need ready to go.

sundragon

I've given up on getting the fry out of the tank, I've got too many plants, it's a little wild in there :D I can barely net a tetra much less fry... The bright side is that there is so much cover the fry have a lot of hiding places. I actually haven't seen any since that first video as the female has parked herself in one of the densely planted parts of the tank. She hasn't moved from that place. I've been squirting the food using a syringe so it sprays her vicinity, 3x a day.

I wasn't expecting fry and now the male is displaying to the other female, FML.... Haha

YoungClayB

A couple of things...

Removing fry is easier with a siphon or turkey baster than a net. Very easy in fact.

Hatching brine shrimp is actually quite easy as well. Here is my setup for a quick harvest in about 12-15 hours.

All I did was take a small jelly jar (4.5 inches tall, 2.25 inches in diameter), poked a hole in the top for the airline, and rigged it up with a coat hanger so that I could hang the jar on the side of my fry tank and keep it submerged (thus also keeping the temp the same as my water temp -80 degrees)

I fill the jar with 7/8 cup of water, add 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt, and a pinch of banking soda (since my tap water pH is 6.8 our of the tap)...brine shrimp like a pH of around 8 or so.

After each harvest (coffee filter, cup, etc), I just rinse out the jar, fill it back up with water, add my salt and baking soda, drop the airline in, and hang in on my tank....then when I am about 12 hours from wanting to feed my babies again, I just add the eggs then. Works great and easy to plan.
photo1-78.jpg

photo2-79.jpg

Ok, and lastly, you don't really need a standalone fry tank. I DO have fry tanks, but when I am out of room, I float one of these in my larger tanks. Works like a charm until the fry are big enough to not get eaten.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3814565&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

sundragon

Thank you for the advice! I was afraid to muck around the tank and upset the female, she hangs out in the most densely planted part that I have a hard time see babies but she's super protective of that spot so I assume she's defending protecting some young.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….