• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Honduran Redpoints

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Does anybody know anything about these guys? Cryptoheros Sp. Redpoint. I recently acquired 2 that were suposed to be m and f but as the larger one justbullied the smaller one I have to question the sexing of them. Do the sub. males take on female colors? Are there differences in fins from m to f?

con-man-dan

5 Year Member
Can you get pics? This would help immensely. Also, what are the size of the two fish, what size tank, and how is it decorated?

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Photos of HRPs

this was supposed to be the female I had to separate them as she was getting quite a beating sorry about the quality of the photo

hrp013a.jpg

She is almost healed up now I will have to try for an updated photo.

And this is supposed to be the male the flash washed out some of the color.

hrp012a.jpg

retro_gk

5 Year Member
Your fish are still quite young, but looking at the finnage I'd say the fish are as they were sexed.

What size tank do you have them in? Any dithers?

con-man-dan

5 Year Member
From those pics I'd have to agree, sexed as sold. We all know they can breed in a fairly small tank, so that might not be the problem. Tell me, how is the tank decorated?

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Decorated

The tank is home made 14.5*14.5*40 app 36g I moved the male out into a different tank. There are 2 agassizii females 2 albino corys, 3 otocinclus, and 2 matto-groso b/n plecos in this tank.

hrpin36g.jpg

She is just off to the right of the stump.

con-man-dan

5 Year Member
I'm guessing you're keeping the water fairly soft for the rest of the tank mates right? Red Points are Central American, their water needs are closer to Rift Lake Africans then South Americans. If you have another small tank, or can locate one (craigslist.com is your friend!) see if you cant set up a seperate 20 gallon, long would be better, but a 12x24 would be fine. Most of the countries tap water is perfect for them, 7.4-7.8 pH. Put two large plastic plants on either end with a small clay pot on either end, or put the plants in the middle and the pots on the end to break up the line of sight. Better yet! Put a see through divider in the 20 seperating the fish. Do frequent qater changes, starting with 10-15% and increasing to about 30%, wait a week, and do a large 50% change, each change raising the temp by 1 degree. Feed as much live/frozen/freeze dried food as you can stuff in them, and I bet even before you get to the 50% water change they'll be going nuts to breed. Plus, it'll give the female a chance to heal up a bit. Pull out the divider and more then likely you'll have eggs within days, if not hours lol. After the deed is done, keep an eye out. Hopefully they'll have bonded and will stop trying to kill each other, but be ready to put the divider back in at any moment. If this happens, it'll probably be about a week or so after the fry have gone free swimming. Its happened to me a few times with different cryptoheros species. I've lost some great females, this is the method I use now.

con-man-dan

5 Year Member
Oh and one more thing, thats a gorgeous tank!!! If you wanted to build another DIY tank just for the HRP's, 36x14.5x10 would be just about the perfect crypto breeding tank! I think that would come out to roughly 27 gallons or so. Just think more like an African keeper, low on plants if any, lots of rocks and caves, harder water.

retro_gk

5 Year Member
Nick, put the male in the plastic breeder trap I see in the picture for a week or two till the female has established herself in the tank, then release the male. This way the female will get used to the presence of the male without fearing for her life.

Of course, you cannot keep them with apistos. They're convicts at heart and will take smaller fish out pretty quickly if they decide to breed.

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Breeding trap

Unfortunately the breeding trap has Dwarf gourami fry in it. However I do have a 25g 30" tank that I will be setting up in the near future. For now they will have to stay in separate tanks. It was my understanding that these guys like a ph around 7.0 and temp around 75f

con-man-dan

5 Year Member
Lots of info on fish in the trade call for a pH of 7.0 just cause its middle of the road. Central American cichlids like hard water, and I keep mine at 80

con-man-dan

5 Year Member
they're cryptoheros lol, they'll spawn on ANYTHING if they really want to. But, they prefer a nice cave. clay flower pots are cheap and work great

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Flower pots

Ok I have my Kribs spawning in terra cota flowerpots got them for under $2 each.

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Oh and one more thing, thats a gorgeous tank!!! If you wanted to build another DIY tank just for the HRP's, 36x14.5x10 would be just about the perfect crypto breeding tank! I think that would come out to roughly 27 gallons or so. Just think more like an African keeper, low on plants if any, lots of rocks and caves, harder water.
I would have to do another 36g as it is 10mil glass and hard to do cuts. I have enough glass to do 3 more I think.

MacFish

5 Year Member
I kept mine in pH 7.0 @ 79 degrees. They bred like rabbits! They spawned inside a ceramic brick or on a flat vertical rock of my man made cave.

Mine were extremely aggressive while spawning so I would also recommend a tank to themselves. Maybe some Swordtails for dithers/targets. I second the idea of adding the female first for a couple weeks to let her set up shop before you add the male.

Enjoy, they are great parents and a blast to watch!

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Thanx

Thanx for all the responses guys I appreciate it. I haven't found a whole lot on the i-net for info.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….