• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

high temperatures

fishme.

5 Year Member
hello.
summer has come in greece and allready the temperature is over 93F-34C and some aquariums allready heated and are at 29 C - 84.2 F

what do you think about this?is it ok to let it go?

every summer i use PC fans over every aquarium to make evaporation which lowers the temperature

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is OK as long as the fish have sufficient O2 - and don't reach the fishes' upper lethal limit, when the bodily functions start to malfunction. Fish & other cold-blooded animals that reach their upper lethal (temperature) limit, behave much like warm-blooded animals that have a high fever.

Instead of using fans, I'd suggest that you freeze bags of water & float them in the aquarium. The ice will cool the aquarium water, but will not mix with it. You will need to determine the amount of ice needed to keep the aquarium at a more normal temperature. Once the
all of ice has melted, just put the bag of water back in the freezer to freeze into ice again. Simple recycling!

fishme.

5 Year Member
thanks Mike the ice bag solution is tested,you need a lot of bags to have a result the fan solution is the best way after the chiller,but if you say that it is OK to let it go i will do nothing

thank's
Nick

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Do you know the upper lethal limit temperature for your fish? Usually at this temperature, they behave much like fish at the cold end of the lower lethal limit: they become lethargic, don't feed well, and easily startled.

susanmaree

5 Year Member
research your fish

Hi,

I too live in a hot climate; Brisbane Australia. My tanks often sit at 30 deg C for days at a time during summer. I research temperature ranges as well as other habitat requirements before purchasing any new fish. That said, some fish can adapt to higher temperatures; however it does often shorten their lifespan.

I always stock lightly - remember the higher the temperature the lower the oxygen content of the water. Good water movement helps - the majority of gas exchange occurs at the surface of the water. We have a lot of commercial marine fish and prawn (large shrimp) farms here and their stocking density is very high. When it is realy hot they start to get die off due to lack of oxygen so they have huge machines like giant paddle wheels that sit on the side of the ponds to churn the water to get more oxygenation.

As that is not practical for a home aquarium :) I am going to try the fan blowing over the tank option this summer if I need to - obviously with fish that don't jump.

I do not like the floating bags/bottles of ice solution, it tends to create cold areas without doing a lot for the overall temperature, but I do know people who advocate this and use the method themselves. It seems to work ok if you have a hang on the back filter large enough to float the bag of ice in, or a sump. That way there is good water movement to mix the cooled water throughout the tank.

I guess at the end of the day you could look at how much effort you want to put into your fishkeeping - the more compatible your fish are with your natural environment, ph, hardness, temperature etc, the less work you need to do to keep them happy and healthy :)

I look forward to hearing other experiences of how to deal with high temperatures

Susan

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
Hi Nick,
My country is very close to yours and our summers are very hot too (and getting worst every year). I must agree with you that the computer fans are the most cheap and practical way of keeping the temperatures a little bit down if you don't have a chiller, and we also use this solution a lot.

It's efficiency is really surprising sometimes, for example, using two strong small fans on a 300L tank I managed to decrease the temperature from 34C to 28C(!).
The only disadvantage of this method is the high water evaporation rate, so you should keep adding water every couple of days in order to retain the wanted waterlevel, and of course it's not considered as water changes cause the levels of minerals and toxicants stay the same :wink: ...

fishme.

5 Year Member
Hi Nick,
and of course it's not considered as water changes cause the levels of minerals and toxicants stay the same :wink: ...

hi Refael
the water parameters stay the same if the water that is added is from R.O. if not , the hardness will increase

and yes the summer becomes hotter and hotter :mad:

31C today in my aquariums and it is the first day they get so hot

i did not use PC fans in my aquariums except of one in which the lamp is under the cover

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
You're right, if you add normal tap water the concentration of dissolved solids will rise up gradually
icon14.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….