• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi, From St. Paul, MN, USA

Pisces 56

Hello, fellow dwarf aficionados!

Have been in fish keeping off and on since I was a toddler... Back in the day of metal frames and slate bottoms.

Currently have a 40g Congo biotope with Pelvicachromis subocellatus and pulcher, Congo tetras and African wood and plants. I am quarantining two Microctenopoma fasciolatum and will have a group of Syndodontis nigriventris.

Then I move on to a tank with Microgeophagus ramierz... And I don't know what all to go with them.

Looking forward to talking small fish with you all.

Pisces 56

Pisces 56

Cooder, nah. Well some. But I'm in a funk right now. My two favorite fish, a mated pair of P. subocellatus, just died. I've no idea why. I'm just sick. I loved them so much. And I've not been able to find anywhere in the US where I can find more subocellatus. I miss them - they had cute personalities and instead of running when I'd go over to the tank, they'd come up to the glass and stare back at me. Not really aggressive at all. They tried to mate once and all they did was 'shoo' folks away - no mean aggression. GREAT fish.

And the fasciolatum are in a quarantine tank and only about an inch long. They're almost colorless - just got them. So the biotope only has the Congo tetras and the three P. pulchers right now. I promise pics when it's worthy of taking some.

Kiss the cute puppy for me.

I had two females die about 4 months ago
Was one of two things I was doing to many water changes.
or I had a murderer in my tank
I stoped doing water changes and removed some fish which I thought were the calprets
Haven't had a prob since
But hope u find the prob
Sorry to hear .
And thanks cooder for the welcome

DutchyIvo

Hi there. I guess this thread is a bit old, but scrolling though your messages I thought to ask my question over here: can we expect a picture of your 40g Congo tank soon? Just your description already sounds amazing.

Pisces 56

Hi, Dutchylvo. I'm afraid not soon. I've only the 4 tetras and 2 Microctenopoma fasciolatum in there right now. Things are just starting to settle down in this tank and I started it in March. I had a parasite infestation and lost all my P. subocellatus and P. Pulcher, as well as 4 (all beautiful males) tetras. Currently all my wood is covered in this thick dark, dark green algae and I need to get more plants planted.

But you have my word that as SOON as I can, I'll post some pictures. I'm really very proud of my tank (blush) even if she's limping along at the moment.

I've five wee, wee, WEE Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' in my QT tank. They're ready to go in the 40g but I'm waiting as they are SO SMALL. I like getting my fish small and watching them grow.

Thanks so much for asking about my tank. I get all giggly when someone asks about it!

mk

Pisces 56

A little history. This, my biotope, all came about because I fell in love with Pelvicachromis ssp years ago. I've waited almost 20 years to do up this tank and it's all for the benefit of my precious Pelvies so they can feel the most comfortable and be the happiest they can be. Now, of course, not a single fish I have has been any closer to the Congo River than I have so they're not going to know they're supposed to swoon at their digs. But, I like to think hardwired in that nano brain somewhere is the enjoyment of shade, Anubias, and vals. And if not, who cares? *I* feel good for having done it! :)

DutchyIvo

All right cool, that will be a test of patience :)

Always nice to see how someone else who likes the same species as I do decorates his or her tank. I've found many stunning tanks at google pictures just by searching for "[species name] biotope"
To see how others put their creativity in a biotope set-up for a certain species even interests me more than their pictures of that particular species. Tanks differ, but we all know what a pulcher looks like, right? ;-)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….