• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi From Somerset UK

Neuro

Hi all,

I would like to start by saying hello and introducing myself properly to the forum.

Hello everyone. My name is David and I have been keeping fish since I was about 12 years old which was back in the early 80's. This first tank, stand and lid was built by my father and myself in our garage. My late granny helped me stock it by taking me to a fish shop and presenting the fish as a Christmas present. Don't worry not wrapped and left under the tree with don't open until 25 December label on it.

Many years passed....teenagers hey with out any fish appearing in my life.

Life led me to travel and live in Hungary and France (Strasbourg) for a number of years. At this point my passion for keeping fish was re-ignited. whilst living in France I had 3 small aquariums and this is when my interest in chiclids really began. I was keeping a pair of rams which spawned several times but the eggs never hatched. But this feeling of been so close and the beauty of these fish presented a certain challenge to raise fry which I wanted to achieve.
This is still a whish and I have not managed it yet. I have tried several times and then got dispondant with the quality of fish available in shops.

Time ran out in France and it was time to drain tanks....always a sad affair....and returning fish back to the shop where I had made a good friend of the owner.

Some years later I lived in Hungary and started a small fish room after becoming friendly with my friend Zoltan who owned 2 shops and had a breeding room. These were great times visiting wholesalers and breeders all over the country. Also in a nearby town was a German chap who had poly tunnels and an aquarium plant business. At this time I kept some Tanganikan spices Neolamprologus bricardi, Chalinochromis bifrenatus and neolamprologus leleupi. Any off spring had a ready home in one of Zoli's shops. As well as the chiclids I had a colony of brislenoses and corydoras aneus which bred regularly. A bonus was having adult fish available which were returned to the shop.

Once again there was a gap in fish keeping for a few years after returning to England. Where I am now based in South Somerset.

About 4 years ago I deceided it was time to get a small display tank for the living room. However I am a chronic sufferer of MTS....yes multiple tank syndrome. It wasnt long before 1 became 2 became 3 became where oh where am I going to put all of these tanks?

So it was time to forget about dinning in a dinning room and rename it the fish room.

I now have 28 tanks running and have been keeping apistogramma for just over 12 months. In that time I have been lucky enough for 5 different species to breed.

Thanks for reading and see you around the forum

David

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….