• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi all!

Thanuhrei

I’ve been fish keeping for about half a year and have one 20long community tank. I’m looking to soon get a second tank (another 20 long) with pencils and a pair of Agassizii. I’m already a member of the Tropical Fish Forum, and I can see there’s some familiar faces here! (@Seisage@anewbie ) On TFF I’m @JackGulley.

Apistonaut

Welcome! Make sure you don't intend on breeding the pair in the new 20 gallon. Community tanks are rough places for pairs of Apistogramma if kept too small.

I appreciate you wanting just South American fish in it!

Thanuhrei

Welcome! Make sure you don't intend on breeding the pair in the new 20 gallon. Community tanks are rough places for pairs of Apistogramma if kept too small.

I appreciate you wanting just South American fish in it!
The new 20 will be just apistos and pencils; the apistos aren’t going in the community tank. I like the idea of a pair, but I’m not necessarily prepared for a full-on breeding operation, which is one of the reasons I’m aiming for a non-cactuoides species, since I figured they wouldn’t be as likely to breed. If its unrealistic to expect to have the pair and not be dealing with a lot of babies, I might consider just a single male.

Thanuhrei

If by “community” you meant the fact that there are gonna be pencils too, I’ve been told by a few different experienced apisto breeders that pencils are well-adapted to be kept with a breeding pair, since their mouths are too small to eat fry and they can hide in floaters from aggression.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hillberg

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(