• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey from Brazil

PedrazBR

Hi, I'm a Brazilian aquarist and have a special thing about biotopes.
In the moment I got a biotope from a igarapé of Padauari river (middle, upper Rio Negro basin), with cardinals, leopard corys, ghost shrimp and a couple of Dicrossus maculatus.
I'm here to know more about dwarf cichlids, specially breeding.
Thanks!

PedrazBR

f6085d9c723be72f96e3ce2f26627db3.jpg

PedrazBR

Hi gerald!
For this aquarium I bought. I live far away from north region (amazon).
But, I caught some fishes where I live.
In the apex of my aquarism, I got 7 biotopes form my region, all from wild, fish, substrate, stones etc.

PedrazBR

Yeah, it is, but this was collected in the middle negro basin. In Brazil, some fishes are very hard to find to buy (everyone is exported). Took 4 months to get those dicrossus species and it's the only species that I found. i was looking for foirni, but luckless, then I got this couple and still looking for the foirnis
I run the I.D. key (?) for d. maculatus, and my fishes have one or two different structures hlathan maculatus. This discussion was open in a brazilian aquarium forum (like this), and the research ends up with crenicara maculata (found in axelrodi book).
I bought it direct from the a big importer/exporter, who was track the collect place as next to tefé. So, cause of this, I get used to call them d. maculatus, even beeig a dicrossus sp. sorry
Here is the video who inspired my biotope

PedrazBR

Ok. The male is almost impossible to picture, but i got lots of the female
4a1764a72f3024cddfb602833fecc59b.jpg
94e0178d69cf2b88ca8f8bc30f67efa0.jpg
68853e624950d4e9a54eb8f4d892f3f9.jpg
2bc512a980091e411825983062a29cb6.jpg

16 dorsals spines, male with electric blue mask. No black dots in thr head, 2 striped of black dots through the body, with 4 dots in the back, 1 semidot in the tail base (tail? Theres another word?), 2 more (ligh black) in the last part of tail very close and 4 dots in the body.
I read something about maculatus been all over amazon basin, but only in some areas. And seeing the other brazilians chessboards from my friends and internet, they never look like mine, actually i've seen only 1 couple who look like mine.
Maybe subspecies or other color from isolated population?

PedrazBR

Yeah. Can be a new species dicrossus genus looks a kind of unknow in the Brazilian studies. Sadly.
The male is not so colorful either, and they change colors and blsck dots like crazy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….