• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with sexing Apistogramma agassizi tefe

Hague1982

I'm struggling telling if this is a small male or a female, what do I look for?

DSCN6046.jpg

susanamck

not the only one mate, i spent an hour starting at a tank locally hunting for a female unfortunality suppliers seam to be keeping females back for breeding!
I was orginally sold a pair only for the general suggestion to be a male pair but the youtube videos of breeding pairs match mine, however i now have a female wild in with them too.

Apparently the ventrals are smaller on a female, stomach is slightly rounder (although have to be careful with that one as some illnesses present in roundness e.g. worms or internal infection) and the lateral band is more obvious on females, but again some tank species have breed this out.

hope its ok to link to other sites, http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/id-questionaire.html i use this an a guide

i would say female, however i am NO expert

Champ_17

5 Year Member
I'm not sure to told because the fish is quite young and color drop.
For me the young male tefe will show silver/white dot on his tail.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….