• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help with ro

thegnu

5 Year Member
hello, i've just got an ro-unit. how do you turn it off when you have enough water. i've been told you must always have water covering the membrane.
i think i've posted this in the wrong place.

Zapisto

5 Year Member
just shut off the Water :)
all the part of the Unit still have Water.

PS: if you use your RO once a month or less , then you have a prob and i really dont know why you buy a unit in this case......
otherwise you will be fine for normal use

Dont forget to flush it time to time and change the prefilter when needed.
this way your membrane will be good longer

Corie Dora

5 Year Member
I've gone for long periods of time not needing to use my ro system, when I had a large planted tank with only 3 small fishes, I only did water changes once every 2 months or so. Also, when I moved I tore down all my softwater tanks, and had no reason to use it for several months.

The water depot guys suggested to me that it was fine to do that for fish, just to not use the first liter or so that comes out. But that using it for drinking water would be out of the question.

I recently started backflushing my unit before and after occasional use, and have noticed a decent increase in production with no changes in water parameters, as well as calcium and lime deposits (from drying out) coming out of the prefilter. If you google 'backflushing RO aquarium' you'll come up with all kinds of articles on the pros and cons of it, as well as places to buy backflushing valves.

Another suggestion would be to plug the open ends of the unit when not in use ;) (maybe not for drinking, but for fish)

HTH

Corie=^..^=

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….