• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help with my breeding program

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
Hey Guys, I have afew questions on my breeding steps. I've been have a fry here and a fry there. But never nothing stedy. I've had them in breding tanks and using ditcher fish. So here's the questions. Like right now I have a Panduro male in with 3 females in a bare bottom tank with afew other fish to brake up the tention. Should I remove the other fish?
Is there some thing else I should be doing to get them to spawn?
I've been feeding BBW,LBS and flake food in the mornings. is there another food Or something I could do differnt?

I'm needing to find away to insure more breeding? It's just like they've all stoped.

Thanks before hand Leslie

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
Do apistos have a season where they don't spawn? Some fish species go for months unless you do a dry season or other trigger for them. I've only had my pair for about 7 months and they seem to spawn all the time.

fishgeek

i think pandure are more chosey about their pairings

you may just have fish who dont like each other
saying that i have just gone through a quite spell, proven pairs , not muh going on
good food
good water

i was beginning to wonder whether i needed a change and then they just started again, think it was few hotter days that triggered mine

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you have a male and female panduro in the tank that are behaving as a pair, but not breeding, take out the other panduro females. Mine always preferred to be alone as a pair. I also did not have any success raising fry until the water pH was held consistantly at 5.5 pH for a month, and stayed that way until the fry were a month old.

blueblue

5 Year Member
have you tested the parameters of the water?
Panduro is NOT difficult to breed if you provide them
with acidic and soft water. Trying pH shock may work as well. :)

apistoireland

5 Year Member
Panduros are not your typical harem breeding apisto. Keeping them in pairs will increase your chances of breeding them. Your male will bond with one of your females at some stage. Remove the other females and if you still have no look, play around with the water temperature. Raise it to 29 degrees celcius for a couple of days to a week and do a 50% water change after that and drop the temperature by a couple of degrees. That should bring them on

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….