• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with ID confirmation

DMarques

Hi all,

Once more i need your help, I recently have bought some new apistos and I need some help on ID.
The first one was sold to me as A. agassizi "tefe", and the second one as A. cf cruzi algodon II. Can anyone plz confirm this?
Thanks

The first one:
1.jpg

The second one:
2.jpg

FIL

5 Year Member
Hi, the first one is not agassizii. It's an Apistogramma Sp. Téfé A243 because there are several waves shaped bands under the lateral band.

The second one can be classified in regani group, complex eunotus and perhaps sub-complex cruzi, but i' am not sure for the last.

Expect the opinion of Mike Wise ;)

DMarques

Hi FIL,

thanks for the help, i always try to know the right species of my fish, and after a little research i was in doubt about this 2.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree. The first is A. sp. Tefé, a species often sold as A. agassizii Tefé. Your fish is the more desirable species of the 2 agassizii-complex species found in the Rio Tefé. A. agassizii from the Rio Tefé is just another population of the holotype form of A. agassizii found between Peru (Río Tigre) and the Rio Negro/Madeira (Rio Solimões) in Brazil.

"A. cf. cruzi algodon II" is a commercial name used for several different cruzi-/Pebas-like fish from northern Peru. Imports often contain 2 or more similar looking species (A. sp. Putumayo, A. sp. Pebas, A. sp. Papagei, A. sp. Roca Eterna). Your male looks like a form of A. sp. Pebas. I cannot be absolutely positive, however. The bright colors hide some of the diagnostic dark markings.

DMarques

Thank you Mike,

But now I have another problem, i bought 2 females with this male, but since you say that imports often contain 2 or more similar species, how can i be sure that i got the right females? can you give me any hints on this?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Without seeing the females (and the male in fright/submissive mood), it would take too long to described the differences on the forum. Can you supply photos of the females?

DMarques

Here are one of the females, i will try come here later and upload some photos of the other female.
Thanks for your big help Mike.

3.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….