• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with diagnosis Sick Ram needs help

Matías

I need help with a diagnosis, I have young M. ramirezi is sick, it stays in the background and is very fat ... Could this be a bowel obstruction? What is it that I do? Thanks for help

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sounds like bloat. Unfortunately, once small fish like rams have bloated to where it is very obvious it may be too late to save them. There will always be some debate about how to treat bloat in a ram/apisto, but I have had the most success increasing the temperature up to 82-84, treating with metronidazole and doing lots of water changes.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Possibly a protozoan parasite (most likely hexamita), which is why metro is usually effective. Bacterial infection will also be present, but often secondary to damage by the protozoan. Metro is also a mild antibiotic.

gerald

5 Year Member
Bloating is a symptom, not a specific disease. It indicates that the fish is not able to excrete excess water. Parasites, bacterial infection, improper diet or water conditions, and old age are some of the possible causes.
If your water is very soft and low conductivity (less than 80 uS) then adding a small amount of buffering salts (a mix of Ca, Mg, Na, K, Cl, SO4) might help his recovery, even for soft-water fish like rams. Adding some extra ions in the water will ease the workload on the salt-uptake cells and water-excreting cells in the gills and kidney for a bloated fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….