• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with an old mystery fish

Chromedome

5 Year Member
Yeah, I had these fish several years ago and they are long gone, but I'd like to be sure I have a proper ID on the photos. There were three, all pretty close to the same size, about 3.5-4cm, but the one in these photos was just slightly larger than the other two. All three were capable of the pattern shift shown in the two pictures, and yes, these shots are the same individual. They changed back and forth frequently, depending on who was chasing whom. At the time, I had a tentative ID as cruzi, based on their origin (Peru) and images in Romer's book 1. I was pretty sure all three were females at the time, and never saw any signs of breeding. Verification or correction, either way, would be appreciated.

2001963771793604213_rs.jpg

2006179975749471679_rs.jpg

lab

5 Year Member
The bottom picture shows a male A. sp. "Winkelfleck/Angle-patch" (A 44-45), the top photo is a female, but i think of a different species. The caudal spot is to small for this species. It is so small that I'm a little confused about what it could really be.
This would explain the lack of spawning.

Lars

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
These are photos of the same fish? That's amazing! If so, I have to agree with Lars. You had a nice little male A. sp. Winkelfleck/Angle-patch. Römer's Cichlid Atlas 1 shows at least 3 different species/forms as "A. cruzi" only the following photos are of the true A. cruzi: p.359 bottom; 360-361; 365 bottom.

Chromedome

5 Year Member
Yeah, Mike, you can understand why I was confused about the sex of them. Those two shots were taken less than 5 minutes apart, of the same individual. I sat in front of that tank for hours, trying to figure out sexes, as all three fish did the same thing at will. I'm guessing they were all males, and took on female colors when they didn't want to be chased.

So they were Winkelfleck/Angle Patch. Thanks gang! When I get things functioning in the fishroom again, I'll have to look around for them.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

If this is the same fish, it seems to be a case of sex-change from female into a male.

regards,
Rolo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….