• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help try and sex my L. dorsigera

Jayhawk

5 Year Member
OK, I've had my 4 L. dorsigera for almost 2.5 months now. Not very long I know, but 3 of the 4 have grown significantly. The largest is pushing 2.5-3" SL, the middle two are around 2" SL, and the fourth one is only about 1-1.5" SL.

First off, I have to apologize for the poor camera (2.1 MP, no macro mode)...but anyone want to try and see if you can hazard a guess as to the sex of my 4 fish?

First, the big one: http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/Bigfish.jpg

Next, the little one (it's really hard to get a pic of because it hides and is chased more than the others): http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/LittlestFish.jpg

Finally, the two middle one (one of which is in a "dark, tough" phase these days): http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/Twomediumsizedfish.jpg

Maybe it's too soon to tell, but my guess is the big one for sure is male, the smallest may well be female, and I'm not sure about the middle two. If it's too soon (or my camera stinks too much), I'll try again in another 2-3 months.

Thanks,

Eric

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Sexing Dorsigers

I have found with my pair that the male is quite a bit larger than the female, and his dorsal fin is more pointed than the females. Also her color is a lot darker and intense than his. Hope this helps.

Jayhawk

5 Year Member
That may help. Of the two medium sized fish, one is significantly darker most of the time, and even when lighter it's still darker than the other fish.

The biggest one to me seems obviously different...but it's hard to tell if I have 3 males and one female or two of each.

Eric

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I can't be certain, but I would bet the the larger is a male & the smaller a female; the other 2, I don't know. I think that you just need to be patient and let the fish pair off. Then remove them to a breeding tank (or visa versa). With L. dorsigera, I find it their behavior will sex them as easily as their fins & color patterns.

Jayhawk

5 Year Member
Mike - your thoughts pretty much match mine...only time will tell for sure, but I agree the biggest seems likely to be male (including the longer fins) and the smallest most likely to be female. Staring at the two midsized ones again last night makes me wonder if it's another male and female, but it's too hard to tell. So far, no one's behavior is helping me out here (the little stinkers!).

Eric

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….