1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP............My Java Fern is dying

Discussion in 'The Planted Aquarium' started by bobbdd, Feb 18, 2003.

1. dw1305

dw1305 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Hi all,
    I agree with "Happyfins", the Java fern should be OK. You can take the old brown leaves off, they won't recover.

It might be a low light issue for both fern and frogbit, the other possibility is nutrient deficiency. Have a look at the "Duckweed Index" from <"N P K">.

cheers Darrel
  2. ButtNekkid

ButtNekkid Active Member

Hi Darrel,

I ´ve been using "Duckweed Index" for a year now. One of the best things I ´ve learned. Thanks for that!

My Frogbit has a good green color. It just wont multiply for some reason. My light is a 15 W T8 on 15 gallon tank.
    My Salvinia Cucullata that´s in the same tank is quite pale in comparison.

I use salts as a fertilizer in my main tank, but have not used in this one cause I´m afraid it would rocket my conductivity.
    http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/i...rnEdit=5&Returnitemname=&ReturnShowItemStart=

I remember you posting on Ukaps some chart of nitrate levels and plant color.

Attached Files:

dw1305 likes this.
  3. dw1305

Hi all,
    I think quite a few people use it now, it is nice and straightforward and it works.
    You are right, that looks good and healthy.
    That is pretty low light, especially in the winter when ambient light levels are low.
    Yes it is towards the bottom of page 1 in <"UKAPS:High Nitrate">.

cheers Darrel
  4. ButtNekkid

ButtNekkid Active Member

Hi,

Could it be that my Frogbit is of good color because it´s full of nitrates and such?
    And Salvinia as a newcomer does not have access to ferts cause they are all used up?

How long should I wait if I add fertilization to this tank and want to measure it´s effect on conductivity?
    Tank has 2 sponge filters.

I´m seriously derailing this thread now. Sorry about that!
  5. dw1305

Hi all,
    Yes, it looks pretty healthy.
    Possibly, although it normally is a paler green.
    The fertiliser should raise the conductivity quickly, and after 30 minutes you should have the new value, even if you add as a dry salt. If you dissolve the fertiliser in water before you add it, the conductivity rise will be almost instantaneous.

cheers Darrel
    ButtNekkid likes this.
  6. Karin

Karin Active Member

The jave fern will be ok, they like to have a phosphate excess, I guess... and not to much heat.