• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help identifying false Bolivian butterfly ram

Alan960

5 Year Member
Hi,

I had 2 Bolivian butterfly rams and tried to add 2 more from another dealer. I like to try to add some genetic diversity to my collection and that is one strategy. The 2 new fish do not look the same and when I checked some species identification information there is one key thing lacking. There is no trace of red fringes on the tail or other fins.

So can someone help me identify them? The attached picture is not as good as I would like, but only a phone camera was available to me. If necessary I can try to get a better picture.

I'm not sure why I can't post attachments. I'll have to work out some way to send an image link.

Ok, I have put it here:

http://www.chankly.com/images/Image004.jpg

Image004.jpg

Regards, Alan.

Ruki

5 Year Member
Can you take more sharper photo? This is so blurry. :frown:
When I saw this picture I thought about Geophagus.

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

5 Year Member
it is some form of geophagus, though the split lateral spot makes ID's confusing.

the blurry photo doesnt help matters, it does bear resemblance towards G. taeniopareius, I wouldn't be 100% on that ID however. as that lateral spot does seem odd

Alan960

5 Year Member
Thanks for the quick responses

Thanks for your help everyone. I have looked at what pics I could find on the Internet, of the species mentioned. I can see now why a clearer picture is needed, there are so many similar looking species. Also my fish are juveniles, I should have mentioned the sizes are 1.5" and 2", so they may change appearance.

Of the pictures I have seen, the closest in appearance is Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus, but this is by no means certain, and Gymnogeophagus australis is also very similar in appearance. Geophagus brasiliensis is similar enough to be a good possibility.

Behavior wise I should also mention these fish are poking around in the gravel a lot looking for food, which was something I did not expect since all the Cichlids I have had before never touched the gravel unless it was to clear a spawning patch.

e.g. http://www.fishbase.org/summary/speciessummary.php?id=12311

I will post some clearer pictures in about a week or so. Also I will reduce the image size of the existing pictures, as they are so blurry anyway.

Alan.

Alan960

5 Year Member
Saw Geophagus brasiliensis this weekend

I was at another supplier last weekend who had Geophagus brasiliensis on display. They looked identical to the fish I have, from memory - no side by side comparison yet. Perhaps other species also look the same or this supplier is also mistaken, but most likely now I would say this is the species.

Thanks for your help, Alan.

Heiko Bleher

5 Year Member
Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher and the last text on this thread is the correct one: the pictures show Geophagus brasiliensis, a juvenile fish.

Merry Christmas and a very (fish)healthy and happy new Year to all of you.
I am sorry I am late, but this year was lectures & Seminars, judging and expeditions as well as fairs & exhibitions worldwide one after the other...

Anyhow have some peaceful holidays with your beauties,

always best regards from a collectors

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com
www.aqua-aquapress.com

PS_ Christmas wishes on my home page...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….