• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP !Can uprooted fert. root tabs kill fish?

nuimom

5 Year Member
I feel horrible, I added some new Manzanita wood to my planted 20L. I had to move a few plants and push the wood into the gravel some. I am afraid a few fish may have ingested some partially dissolved tabs, as well as making the water unsafe for all. My poor young Borellis are moving slow and lost a few neons, a cory and a fancy guppy.

As soon as I noticed odd behavior I saw the guppy swimming weird and cory and neon all swam disoriented and sank...............I hurried and did water change, put charcoal in filter and removed wood. Hoping all will be ok in a few hours, Apistos are moving better, but not normal yet. Sure don't want to loose them :O

ALL water chem is normal, O ammonia, nitrates, nitrites PH the same, everything looks good but the fish :( Temp still at same 77.

Has anyone had trouble with the SeaChem tabs, my bad for maybe making them be exposed. Or how about freshly boiled/rinsed Manzanita wood???

Thank you in advance,
nuimom

nuimom

5 Year Member
Here is an update, after adding charcoal to filter, doing 50% water change and removing wood.
Within an hour fish seemed better, by morning all seemed well and borelli were eating and swimming normal.
I learned my lesson, don't pull up or move plants with 2-3 week old root tabs. I also added more gravel over the top of the exposed area to be sure the cories would not get to any particles if still around. So far all is well and the Harliquin Rasboras in the tank with them have actually started spawning today. SO HAPPY my borelli are safe and well !!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….