• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help Breeding A. nijsseni

JDogg

5 Year Member
Ok I have actually had this topic running for a while on another forum...if you want to read the whole thing it is HERE

I will quickly run down a review of what has happened so far to save you the need to read the above thread

Species: Apistogramma nijsseni

Tank Particulars: 10 gallon Planted tank, Eco-Complete Substrate, DIY CO2, one Easter Island Head Cave and one Home made Terra Cotta Cave ("top" end sealed with piece of slate, "bottom" hole cut slightly bigger).

Tank Params:
PH= 6.4 (down form Tap at 8.0 using RO water)
KH= 5 degrees
GH= 8 degrees
Ammonia/Nitrite=0
Nitrate = 30 ppm
Temp = 78 F

Diet: NLS Community Formula, Tetra Color Bits, Frozen Bloodworms/brine shrimp and live glass worms.

I do weekly 25% pwc with RO to lower the PH a little at a time and I couple that with a temp drop to ~74 and bring it slowly back to ~78 (I was told that this simulates rain in the Amazon and can help put them in the mood)

And now of course some pictures

FemalePanda.jpg

MalePanda.jpg

PandaTank3-2-07.jpg

I have been doing this for over a month now, I am a patent person, but still any advice you can give would be great!

Thanks

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Totally concur with Mike.

I bred mine in pure RO water with a little RO right to give 0dKH and 3dGH. pH was 5.5 and there was a little peat in the filter.

JDogg

5 Year Member
oviously i can not drain the tank and re-fill it with ro, how fast do you think i can lower it safely? in 25 pwc intervals? 1 per day, 1 per 2 days?

can i do larger pwc with RO? 50%? 75%?

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you do 25% water changes you will change a lower percentage of the original tap water every week and it will take a lot longer to get down to low GH/KH levels. A 50% WC should be ok as long as your water isn't dead hard at the moment. I wouldn't add anything to remineralise as your water is already harder than you want in the end. Test GH and KH after each WC.
NB. I'd check your GH and KH again before you do the WC to make doubly sure too!

A 50% WC with pure RO should halve your GH and KH in one fell swoop. If you then test again and they aren't low enough give it a week and then another 50% WC should halve them again.
25% WCs will drop them by a quarter each water change which will take longer to get to the levels you're after.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The fish will lay eggs in any water, but few will develop unless the water is soft and acid. The eggs that do not develop will die and then be eaten.

JDogg

5 Year Member
i did do a 50% pwc with RO over the weekend, will post results later, but should be half of previous.

Wampa

5 Year Member
The fish will lay eggs in any water, but few will develop unless the water is soft and acid. The eggs that do not develop will die and then be eaten.

It is news for me. I must change water pH and KH. Thanks for advice.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….