• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from the American Midwest

Duke79

Hello everyone. I am new to Dwarf Cichlids and I'm in the process of doing the research to convert an existing African Cichlid tang tank to a South American Dwarf Cichlid tank. It is a 40 gallon tank so I realize my stock list is somewhat limited compared to the way you can overstock an African Cichlid tank. I appreciate all the information I am gleaning from this forum and look forward to getting started on the conversion this week. Thanks for all the help I have already gotten just by reading the forum.

Duke79

Hello Josh and slimbolen99. Thank you for the welcome to the forum. I live in central Illinois near Peoria. Yes ... the place famous for "Will it play in Peoria." There aren't a lot of hobbyists that keep "soft water" fish in this area because of our hard, alkaline water. It is great for African Cichlids but demands a lot of work to get it soft and neutral or acidic for the South American Dwarf Cichlids. But I am going to give it a try.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome! I'm in Wisconsin, just outside of Milwaukee, and am also in the land of African Rift Lake cichlid keepers but manage to keep a pretty good number of softwater fish myself.

Duke79

Thanks for the welcome. I noticed that you were going to be at the GCCA swap meet last Sunday. Are you a regular at their swaps? I managed to get to the summer swap meet this year and it was great! I usually work on Sundays so it is difficult for me to make the trip. Do you do other swaps like the MASI in St. Louis (which is being held this Saturday)? I have been checking your stock list at your web site and it looks like you have a very nice selection!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, I go to almost every GCCA swap...the only one I normally miss is the summer one at the Classic. I won't be at the MASI swap, that's a LONG drive for me with the trailer! I'll be at the MAS (Milwaukee Swap) in November and the GCCA Swap the week after though. Shipping to you is pretty inexpensive though so that is a great option for getting fish to you as well.

Duke79

Thank you Boupette. I am enjoying reading and researching on this forum. Lots of good information and insights that can help me avoid some first-timer mistakes.

Racine Vice

Hello from another Midwesterner, just north of the border in Wisconsin. Soft water dwarf cichlids are just about the only fish I keep. I don't think our water is too bad and I have had good success filtering it through peat.

Duke79

Hello Racine Vice and thanks for the welcome. Do you have the peat in the filter on your tank or do you filter the water through the peat before you put it in the tank? I've also noticed there are some products on the market that claim to be granulated peat that can be put in a filter ... have you ever tried a product like that?

Racine Vice

I filter my tap water through a 5-gallon bucket filled with sphagnum peat moss before it goes into my tanks. The slower it goes through the bucket, the more effect it will have. I have tried granulated peat, but I don't find it to be very effective. In my opinion there just isn't enough surface area for the water to come in contact with.

Duke79

Thanks for the information Racine Vice. I didn't ask, but what species of Dwarf Cichlids do you have in your tanks?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….