• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Scotland

Chrisd123

Hello everyone, just thought I would pop on and say hello.
I have kept and bred most fish although I have been away from the hobby for a number of years. I have just acquired a juwel vision 180l bow fronted tank and decided to take the plunge....again.
Not sure what I am going to do yet but it will be cichlids of some description although I am limited to whats available locally.

I do intend to start breeding fish again at some point and will be building a fish house in the near future....
I have kept apisto's before along with various other species, I guess I am at a crossroads as in what to keep next as I like a bit of a challenge. My current tank will be in my living room so am thinking of a biotope set up with the emphasis on apisto's....dimensions are 92x41x55 cm.

merlin

5 Year Member
There are a few cichlid keepers in Scotland. Losvof peopke inyo Discus and A few Apistogramma keepers. Just got to decide what you want to keep.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Chrisd123

I think I will start off with apistos. I have kept them before and bred a few in the past. I will be building a fish house in the near future as I have have lots of options as I live on a small farm so have lots of outbuildings. so intend to start various breeding projects. As I live in the Highlands ( Inverness) there aren't too many options as fish stores etc are limited. If there are any breeders in the area please let me know . I know there are plenty a bit further South which isn't too bad.

merlin

5 Year Member
There are a few around Dundee and Fife areas but Inverness. Know of only one person who was beyond Inverness, Wayne Davies. You should find him on this forum. He did have to cut back on his fish but he may be keeping again. If your down this way give me a shout.

Chrisd123

Cheers Merlin, I am often down your way with work...as I am currently employed in protecting Freshwater pearl mussels as a fisheries biologist so means I get to travel all over Scotland.
As I said previously its been a while since I kept cichlids and indeed fish of any kind so any advice on this forum is always appreciated. It will be a few weeks before I get things set up as am waiting on new house to be finished so am really just information gathering. I live on the in laws farm so have lots of outbuildings to choose from with regard to getting a fish house going and then I intend to get some breeding projects on the go.

Trouble is I am itching to get started!!!!

merlin

5 Year Member
Ive done some basic FWPM surveys. I work as an ecologist. Normally I do bird surveys but our company is involved in fwpm work. The names Derek drop me a message if your passing through.

Chrisd123

nice one mate I will do.
I am working on the current pearls in peril project dunno if you have heard of it.

Chrisd123

I'm employed by RAFTS but work alongside SNH etc. Part of a 3.5 mill LIFE project aimed at conserving and protecting existing FWPM.

merlin

5 Year Member
Have you started stocking fish yet. Coming into winter now, nany of rhe breeders will stop shipping because its too cold.
Did you getvin touch with Wayne Davis.

I'm employed by RAFTS but work alongside SNH etc. Part of a 3.5 mill LIFE project aimed at conserving and protecting existing FWPM.

Chrisd123

I am waiting to move into new house ( next couple of weeks).
However I have found a local -ish fish store who are quite happy to order fish from a UK breeder and Czech republic and hold them for me once I start. They stock plenty of SA cichlids but said if I want anything in particular they would have no problem getting them for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….