• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Pennsylvania!

chellzy

Hi everyone! I currently have a small (10 gallon) community tank, but we found a 55 gallon for a steal. Currently trying to decide what I want to do with it-It sits in a niche near our front door, so I want it to be striking. Seriously considering a cichlid tank, and dwarf cichlids were suggested. Here to get ideas and more information :).

chellzy

Thanks! I was told that African cichlids won't like my tank so much-it's 30"Lx18"Wx24"D. South Americans were suggested to me. I'm starting to think this tank shape, while perfect for my house (small house with 4 kids in it!), it's going to be a pain to stock with happy fish.

Joe Gatchell

Well there is definitely a difference between the african river dwarf cichlids and what most people think of when they hear "African Cichlid", which is typically the lake cichlids. Look up dwarf species, Pelvicachromis, Nanochromis, and the like. Lots of great dwarf species that will work in a variety of tank sizes. :)

Allow me to pique your interest with a link to Ted Judy's Pelvicachromis species photo gallery...
http://tedsfishroom.com/gallery/genus-pelvicachromis/

Last edited:

Joe Gatchell

Heh, Thanks Joe! I didn't realize there were dwarf Africans, silly me! My son would love it if we would do Africans, they are his favorites :).
Yep, probably the most recognizable and easiest to obtain are tank strain kribs. Also called kribensis and pelvicachromis pulcher. Though you'll see a ton of beautiful species on that link I put up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….