• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Oxfordshire, UK

Marc Botham

Hi,
Have a 180l tank with pair of Apisotgramma bitaeniata (WC) and pair of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi (TB). The male bitaeniata used to rule the roost occupying a territory at the 'deep end' of my tank (moderately aquascaped to produce a shallower planted end and a deeper unplanted end with large bog wood structures and leaf litter, sand substrate. He usually keeps the rams away and displays readily to the female who often follows him into one of his caves but then shows no further interest following which he chases her away. That was until a few days ago when suddenly I couldn't see him anywhere despite searchign with torches in all hiding places. Next day he showed up but then disappeared again and now he rarely ever shows himself. The rams have moved into the deep end and when I do see the male bitaeniata he keeps very close to the bottom, pretty much resting on it, has lost most of his briliiant coloration but otherwise looks fairly healthy. He now hides in the shallow end of the tank and when the female is near shows absolutely no interest. I wondered if anyone could offer any advice or information as to what might be causing this. I have done two substantial water changes over last week and have done some water quality tests: temp = 25oC, ph = 7.5 (struggling to get this down despite using RO water with ph minus solution and previously running water through peat filter), hardness (150 KH mg/l, 50 GH mg/l: again struggling to get this down), nitrate >0 <10, nitrite < 0.5 and ammonia < 0.5.

Thanks, Marc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….