• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from New Zealand

Mk11wagn

Hello,

Some Background...

Have had various fish for about 5 years now
have recently shifted house and had to downsize from a 750L community tank to a 320L tank subsequently all i am left with fishwise is about 6 Sterbai Cories and 8 Rummynose and a half hearted planted tank.....
have had my eye on Apistos for a few months now and am ready to sort my tank out and get some! whoohoo!

they (apistos) are rather difficult to come across in NZ and would like to hear from anyone who is breeding them in NZ and hopefully get myself a little harem of these awesome fish

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome! I will give you some experience from my 40 years of keeping and breeding apistos. Apistos make great community fish in a planted tank, but if you expect to breed them together with cories and rummies, then you'll probably be disappointed.

Mk11wagn

Hi Mike, I would like to get a few and see how things go with them for a start before I have a go at breeding them......

Hoping to get my tank better set up this weekend and then go on a hunt for some fish...

Any suggestions on what apistos to start with.... I'm probably only going to be able to afford a pair at this point and maybe add another in a month or two.... It's winter here and the shops don't like importing much during the cold months as they say they lose too many in transport... So I might just have to start with whatever I can get my hands on at this stage

Any suggestions would be awesome

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most people start with a domestic color strain of A. cacatuoides or A. borellii, but there are so many species/form (~ 400 at last count!) that it's hard to say what you would like.

Mk11wagn

IMG_20180608_140012.jpg
what are these guys?

TCMontium

5 Year Member
Two fish in the first photo are some species of Hemichromis. Second has a sick A. cacatuoides (above) and a (I guess?) A. macmasteri (below). Third pic is a pair of A. cacatuoides (if the one that "is" a male isn't actually a very colorful female).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….