• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Czech Republic

Schnitzel

Hello everyone, Tomas here as a new member. My first experience with southamerican dwarf cichlids was with (what they sold me as) A. kleii many, many years ago. One very agressive female caused the death of the second one and a fatal injury of the male soon after. Then many years later M. ramirezi, then about three years ago A. agassziii double red, curently A. cacatuoides (bought as double red, have some doubts, but they are still immatures; see attached pic) and M. altispinosus and going to ad A. baenshi soon. Allways as juwels of community tanks only, no trials/conditions to actively breed.

Attachments

• 20230423_Cichlidka papouščí_4k.jpg
    20230423_Cichlidka papouščí_4k.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82

Leinrw

Hello everyone, Tomas here as a new member. My first experience with southamerican dwarf cichlids was with (what they sold me as) A. kleii many, many years ago. One very agressive female caused the death of the second one and a fatal injury of the male soon after. Then many years later M. ramirezi, then about three years ago A. agassziii double red, curently A. cacatuoides (bought as double red, have some doubts, but they are still immatures; see attached pic) and M. altispinosus and going to ad A. baenshi soon. Allways as juwels of community tanks only, no trials/conditions to actively breed.
I have found that females can be aggressive to males twice the size, especially after spawning. Make sure to have lots of hiding places and a tank at least 80 Liters (20 US gallons). If the female is aggressive after spawning, remove the male to a different tank.

Garri Ausmus

5 Year Member
Welcome Thomas. Most apistos i bred I found that temp decides male to female ratio. Example, at 80 degrees i got 80 (about) percent males. At 72 degrees i got 60 percent females. I tried for 6 months to get my cacatuoides super reds, (an x2 male and an x4 female), to spawn with no success until i accidentally forgot to plug the heater back in after a waterchange. My cacatuoides spawned the next day, then again 28 days later. I now breed my Apistos in a tank with no heater in it as you see in the attached picture. Their tank stayed at 72 degrees in my house with no heater. My agasszii spawned in 76 degree water and i had lots of males but not the ratio i found with my cacatuoides. my Hongsloi Reds spawned in 72 degree water just like my Cacatuoides did. My Bitaeniata only spawned once and the male ended up spawning with a female Cacatuoides. Two males survived and the boss killed the other so i didnt get to see if there would be differences in them. I hope this helps you a little and again welcome.
The fish whisperer.

Attachments

• Apistogramma cacatuoides_5-27-2017.JPG
    Apistogramma cacatuoides_5-27-2017.JPG
    825.3 KB · Views: 78

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….