• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Croatia !

Venom

Hello my name is Kristian , I am from Split , Croatia . After one year of pause from aquaristic i started my Rio 180 again about two months ago . I bought 2 apistogramma cacatoudies double red yesterday , I kept them before but in smaller aquarium .
The number of fish and aquaristic in my town is really poor , we have a small number of fish i want so I must buy from Germany if i want some special fish or from Zagreb , main town .
I saw yesterday apistos and I bought 2 of them because there was only 4 of them and I think there were 3 males and 1 female because that one was much more yellow and smaller from others . So i bought that 1 potentional female and one male but today when I was feeding them they had kind of fight in which bigger "male" was punching smaller fish in her belly till she hide in the roots and bushes . I am afraid if those apistos are 2 males but not pair and I cant find females anymore till I order them and wait for about month and a half for them to come . I will post pictures of those 2 so you could tell me sexing of them .
And I want to know can I keep 2 males and 4-6 females in 180L aquarium with lot of hiding places ?

Venom

88e034454910ef5a9ced2b8430ddf72a.jpg

d9347b9d4434c7c466b215f16ec637a3.jpg

ae0eb6ceb166e524f7ddf7bde865a2ff.jpg

9df2e51815de9b56b0cc9ef64f306eef.jpg

5763ebb6e99bf772de64dfe44ff050a5.jpg

4ad9f24a1510c884edfe2eb65311e7e0.jpg

Venom

Thank you , can anyone else say confirm It's a pair so I can be peacful and how much can I keep in 200liter aquarium , i thought of harem with 1 male and 3 females

Russ Hennessey

5 Year Member
hmmm...from the video i am not sure if its a pair...it maybe 2 females. The easiest way to separate sexes in Caca's (IMHO) is by checking to see if they have extended dorsal rays in the first few rays. This is not present in the females and no matter how hard the sneaker males try to hide it you can still see them. In your video besides the aggression i notice that both fish appear to have black fringe on their pectoral fins and this a very typical female trait. One of them (yellow one) is definitely female and you can see that the leading edge of the dorsal is black and the rays are all about the same length. I don't get a good enough look at the one that could be a male to see the dorsal fin extensions so you will have to check further.
One other thing, Apistos are generally sand sifters so you may want to think about a different substrate. Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….