• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello! Do male cacatuoides ever have dark pelvic fins?

Greener

Hello everyone! I have cacatuoides. They are lovely fish; I love them. The picture of the male and female together on the wikipedia article of cacatuoides are my fish. (that's 'Lighting' (the male) and 'Valkyrie' (the female)).
They had babies. So I have a tank full of cacatuoides (~3cm). When I started selling them I sold the prettiest males, then because those dominant males were out of the tank, the next-in rank would colour up, and I'd sell them, and so on. (I also sold females).
Now, the bossiest fish in the tank is weird, because it has all the male markings, -but- its pelvic fins have a stripe almost as dark as the stripe on the pelvic fins of the females. I've looked and looked and can't find pictures of males with dark pelvic fins; they're always light blue (like my other males were). But I also have never seen a female look anywhere near as male as my odd fish. I'm pretty sure you'll agree its a male. It can't be a sleeper because there is no more dominant fish in the tank than it.
Here's a picture (though I don't think it really shows just how dark the pelvic fins really are)
zoommaleimg3115.jpg

Greener

Thanks for your reply! You're right, which is why I said 'I'm pretty sure you'll agree its a male.'
I was just wondering if anyone had seen males with black on their pelvic fins before?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….