• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello Apisto people!

Justin88

Hi all,
I'm new here and new to Apistos in general. I have recently become the proud owner of a pair of Apistogramma Panduro and am loving the little guys. They have settled into the tank very quickly and made themselves at home, immediately forming a pair bond and spawning in a freshly dug out cave.
As I understand it, I am very lucky in the fact that A. I have managed to get a compatible pair out of a group of around 50 fairly juvenile fish at the store, and B. that they have successfully spawned and hatched fry that are now free swimming! First try! I am feeding twice a day with a mix of hikari first bites, hikari tropical granules and frozen artemia. I look forward to watching the parents raise these little guys and watching the fry grow. Should I leave the fry alone with the parents? How long for? Should I wait until they are say 10mm then move them to a separate tank to grow out? So many questions. I didn't expect this to happen so soon haha.
Happy fish keeping,
Justin.

MacZ

Should I leave the fry alone with the parents?
Best practice.
How long for?
Until the mother stops caring.
Should I wait until they are say 10mm then move them to a separate tank to grow out?
As per the answer before: Move them to growout once the mother doesn't care anymore. Typical sale (and sexing) size is 4cm (depending on conditions that's 4-8 months of growout). Do you have a place where you can take them? Like a store or a wholesaler? Otherwise separate the parents before the next spawn, because if not you will have the next clutch after 2-3 weeks. And so on. Depending on the species this might work out differently, but usually 1-3 spawns might flood the local market for at least a quarter of a year and leave you with a lot of fish you can't get rid of.

On another note: Most species spawn and then the male is redundant to the female and maybe chased off. Females tend to burn out from many spawns in a row. In captivity you will most often have a handful of spawns then they part ways. For breeders separation until both have recovered has worked out. But that only makes sense if you plan a breeding operation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akramana

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(