• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello and flame red story

Pidge1974

Hello,
This is my first post on this excellent forum. I'm from the UK and have been keeping fish for 10 years now. My tank ia a 75 litre, fluval 204 external filter. I use RO remineralised with Tropic-marin pro-discus to get it to Gh=4, kH=2. I use peat balls from here, http://www.tynevalleyaquatics.co.uk/, and handfulls of oak leaves and get a pH around 6.8. The tank has play sand, a lot of driftwood and sumatra wood and 2 coconut caves. I've had 7 lemon tetras and 5 neon tetras in the tank for a couple of years.
I wanted to share my experience so far keeping Apistogramma for the first time. I recently added a pair of flame reds. They spawned within 1 week (30-40 fry) but lost all of the brood within a couple of weeks. Most of the fry were eaten by the tetras and I don't think I was getting enough food to them as well. The female defended them well but the male seemed to chase the tetras all around the tank (2.5ft x 1 ft footprint) rather than away from the brood, this usually drove them into the brood causing the female to disperse the brood as she tried to defend them form all angles.
They've spawned again, 1 month after the first and the male is doing a better job at keeping the lemons to one side of the tank. He's not worried about the neons so they're sneaking up on the fry, to be chased away by the female. They've been free swimming for 3 days and I'm feeding them with vinegar eels and instant baby brine shrimp (not live). I can't really tell if they're eating the food or not. Some interesting behaviour I've noticed is the female removing snails and debris (bits of leaf litter) from around the cocunuts and also collecting material from the substrate (algae, mulm etc) and spitting it into the coconut or into the brood when they're out as if she's feeding them.
This forum has been a great source of information so far so thanks everyone.

Itzik O

5 Year Member
Hello from Israel!

Let us see full tank pic it's sounds like a very nice tank!

Pidge1974

Hi,
Here are some picture:
Full tank shot, the 2 coconut halves are far left, at the front and hidden at the back. Lemons herded to far right:

_MG_0587.JPG

Here is the female with fry:

_MG_0593.JPG

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Here I go again - a community tank is not a breeding tank. There, I said it.;) If you really want to get any fry you'll need to remove the fry predators and, ideally, use live baby brine shrimp.

uberape

you need to get microworm off e-bay, then 90% baby brine shrimp eggs (check you tube for the hatchery), if you feed them these every day (microworms 1st meal bbs the 2nd) you will grow a few that will survive, ive got 8 survivors in a tank with many fry predators, trick is to grow them as quick as possible.but really you should get another tank as chances are the juveniles will get bombarded by the male as they mature. I myself have been impatiently cycling another tank for what seems like forever.

Pidge1974

I've taken all of the tetras out (returned to the fish shop) as much for their well being as the fry. The male now looks a bit lost and has started mouthing fry that stray from the main group. He's mouthing them for quite a long time then spitting them out in random locations, usually even further away from the group.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Males tend to their fry better after they have gone free swimming.
At least he shows an interest which I would take as a good sign.

Pidge1974

Males tend to their fry better after they have gone free swimming.
At least he shows an interest which I would take as a good sign.
Thanks Apistomaster. I don't think I've lost any fry since the last post, still have around 20 in with both parents who look to be getting on with each other well.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….