• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello all!

ginnie5

5 Year Member
I want to set my 38g tank back up. I really want small dwarf cichlids. I've kept angels and your basic community fish. Had some mollies breed once but thats it in that dept. I have very soft water about 5.0 I think. It is well water though.Not sure of the gh or kh. I need to get a new test kit. Or take a sample in to the lfs. This will be a heavily planted tank. I'm in the planning stage now. I'm open for any suggestions!

Neil

ginnie5,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Sounds like you have the right water for SouthAmerican or West african Dwarf Cichlids! The size tank that you are setting up lends a great diversity to your choices. You can easily put a couple of different pairs or small groups in there. Now you have to figure out what you like. Most are fine in a planted tank and will be OK with other fish (like tetras). A nice pair of rams and a small group of A. cacatuoides or A. borellii would sure be a good place to start!
Neil

ginnie5

5 Year Member
I love the Rams and th apistos...

My kids would love Anglefish though. It will be several weeks before I can do fish though. We got the tank out and cleaned up today. Next week the substrate and plants....

Randall

5 Year Member
New Set-up

Dear Ginnie,

Please advise if you have well water or municipal water. It could make a difference.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Randall

5 Year Member
Well Water

Dear Ginnie,

When well water is pumped into the holding tank in your residence, it is about 57 degrees and oxygen depleted. After it comes out of the tap, however, there is an exchange of gasses and the water starts to warm up. For these reasons, it is not uncommon for well water to come out of the tap quite acidic.

In order to get a more accurate pH reading, I'd recommend that you place some of your tap water in a drinking glass and let it sit over night. Afterward, test the pH and see if it still measures 5.0. Chances are that it won't because, as a rule, well water tends to be a tad on the hard side.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

ginnie5

5 Year Member
How about the ph in the betta bowl?

Its been a couple of days since I changed it. I get a reading og 6.5 from it. This well is spring fed and is not a deep well. We know that from the type of pump we have. And there is no holding tank. Just an air tank for pressure and whatever water is in the actual line. After the water runs for several minutes you can hear the pump kick in and the pressure drops. Believe me there are times when I wish we had a storage tank!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….