• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Harassing male

M1dzj3T

I have a pair of A. Panduro

I began by putting them in a community tank but am now thinking of maybe getting them to breed.

The male is always harassing the female in the community tank but i have another 54L tank with a few rasboras, would it be advisable to move the female over to the other tank and let her establish her own territory and then introduce the male to that tank? getting more females is out of the question because the shop i bought them from only sells them in pairs and the other stores won't take any shipments for another month.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If these 2 fish are your only option, then put the female in first. Just understand that most nijsseni-group species can be very 'choosy' about mates. Your male obviously does not like your female. If it does not work out well, then separate the tank with a partition. They may bond eventually. I even had a pair of A. agassizii spawn with the male on the opposite side of a partition from the female in a nearby cave.

M1dzj3T

Here ís the tank i want to use as a breeding tank. It has shrimp and 10 boraras maculatus in it. The female is also in there and seems to like the cave under the filter. is there anything else you see that is wrong with it?
uploadfromtaptalk1392658804276.jpg

aarhud

5 Year Member
Both tanks look pretty open. I would add more cover until the male and female paired up. The female would not have many escape routes from an aggressive male.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I think is a bit bare as well, ideally you need a lot more structure to break up line of sight.

This is as sparse as any of my tanks ever get, and most have a lot more plants, wood and dead leaves.
dicrossus_female1.jpg

cheers Darrel

M1dzj3T

Thanks a lot, any help is welcome. I will add more plants as I pull more out from the bigger tank (which is about weekly) only thing is that as the breeding one is in the communal area of the house it must look tidy (I live with my parents in law so I only have these 2 tanks)

M1dzj3T

Moved the male over today. It looks ti be a success as he began by displaying and blowing water at her with his tail, didn't have more time to watch them so i'll keep a closer eye on them when I come home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….