• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Growth on caudal fin

Cumb Dunt

5 Year Member
Hi guys :)

Yesterday, I purchased 8 wild rams from an LFS. He said they had been getting mostly live black worms (tubificids?), brine shrimp, and a little flake.

Anyway, they all look great except for the big one, who seems to have a tear in his caudal fin running laterally between its central rays. The fin tissue on either side of the fissure is whitish, I would almost describe the growth as cottage-cheese like. It doesn't look like fin rot to me, but I've only seen "fin rot" a few times.

Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone knows what this is, and what I should do to cure it.

I added some amoxicillin per directions but I have heard neomycin works best on fin rot (if that's even what this is!).

Any help would be appreciated :)

fishgeek

clean water and appropriate proprietary fish medications for external infections(fungal/bacterial) all work very well
if it is simply a secondary infection then they will settle very quickly once clean water and stress has beeen atteded to

your description does not match my expectations any chnage of a photo?
it maybe something other than the common simple secondary infections

andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is my understanding that gram-positive antibiotics, like penicillin, amoxicillin, & neomycin, are ineffective against most bacterial infections on fish. These bacteria are mostly gram-negative. Is this true, or an "old wives tale"?

fishgeek

that is still the scientific stance
though pencillin has been advocated fro some infections it is generally thought that the majority of fish pathogens are gram negative

andrew

Cumb Dunt

5 Year Member
I work at an LFS and I find that Neomycin is very effective against "fin rot".

However, this does not appear to be "fin rot". Parts of the infection are almost globular, not just a ragged whitish edge like regular fin rot.

I will do daily water changes until someone can recommend something else.

fishgeek

my suggestion is a picture

lymphocytosis,carp pox, pappilloma,white grub.fibroma.dermocystidium
are all possible's for raised masses

andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My experience with gram-positive antibiotics is that they do not work any better than several water changes with some cleaning of the gravel. The fish's natural defenses do most of the work. Oh, I have some experience with diseased fish since I've worked in both retail & wholesale fish operations. The fish would come in with some of the most amazing diseases!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….