• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grow out tank

Andreas

Hi I am knew to breeding apistogramma so how big should a grow out tank be for one spawn of apistogramm panduro or cacotoides till they are a sellable size
And how big for more then one spawn.
Thanks in advance for whoever replies

yukondog

5 Year Member
I like using a small tank for grow out it makes feeding a lot easier to target feed, but you will need to stay on top of your water changes, I'm using a 3gl. for 12 Viejita fry right now, today they will go into a 5 gl., than a 10 and after that a 30 for grow out, if it's a lg. batch or more than one spawn they may go into a 10 in the beginning, but for me I like a 30 for the end tank. Good luck

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The same rules apply for grow-out tanks as it does for any tank. The one I was given in the past century was 'no more than 2 inches of fish per gallon of water'. Of course this can be modified somewhat by filtration, feeding and tank maintenance, but if you really want your fry to grow more rapidly then you should consider doubling the volume/fish and increasing water changes.

Andreas

The same rules apply for grow-out tanks as it does for any tank. The one I was given in the past century was 'no more than 2 inches of fish per gallon of water'. Of course this can be modified somewhat by filtration, feeding and tank maintenance, but if you really want your fry to grow more rapidly then you should consider doubling the volume/fish and increasing water changes.
Thank you

yukondog

5 Year Member
I try to do WC every day on the fry two days max., a bigger tank or less fry. I have a rather large batch of Cacs. and most are now in a 20 long, I still have some in a 10 but only a few. The largest are only about 1/2". Good luck

Andreas

Ok so how many in apistogramma panduro fry can you put in a 15 gallon till you can sell them if its heavily planted and do water changes every day

yukondog

5 Year Member
I have never used a tank that small to grow out to sell size, I use 30 tall's mostly but if I had to guess maybe 3-4 but there are some here with way more knowledge that may now better of what you ask.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….