• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grow-out Tank Size

Apisto Mike

5 Year Member
I have about 90 Apistogramma eunotus 'Algodon' fry in a 20 gallon tank and I was wondering how big of a tank would be appropriate for growing them out to a size of about 1" - 1 1/2". I figure if I were to continue using the 20 gallon, I would have to split the batch up between 2 tanks and just raise about 40 fry per tank. Would a 33 long be more appropriate? I am currently trying to get my stock up to around 100-150 juveniles of each species I have in the breeding program, so if anyone could help point me in the right direction of tank size, it would help greatly.

P.S. The fish room is about 10' x 12', and houses 12 20 gallons right now, so tank size up to 50 gallon is where I am at right now for grow-out tanks, just need to know which size will be best for quantity of fry I am trying to grow out.

depthc

5 Year Member
Truthfully the biggest size tank you can get would be best. If your trying to grow out a large amount of fry the bigger the tank the better, and the bigger the tank the less likely you would have any spikes in the water conditions.

Sounds like you got a nice setup. Do you have any pictures by chance? Im always interested in others setups, its just inspirational you could say.

Andrew

Apisto Mike

5 Year Member
I dont have pictures yet, but within the next month. ( I need to buy a digi cam). I have seen and been in so many different hatchery set-ups that I just dont know what one to go with. My buddy who bred angels was using 33 longs as growouts for angels up to quarter size, and 50 long for dollar size, 33 long for guppys and corys. He stocked about 150 fish per tank with the guppys and corys and grew them out to the standard 1" size. The angels were I believe it was about 100 to a tank. This is the way I was thinking of doing my apistos, but just need a little advice from someone who has already been there, done that, autographed the book.

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
I use 30 gallon custom tanks, 13 inches tall to grow out my apistogrammas.

Different fish will need different setups.
Angels need a tall tank for the fins to grow right.
Apistos need a large surface, or a shallow tank.

farm41

5 Year Member
I used a 55g to growout 300 Inca 50, it was a bit crowded, but no fighting. Water changes were 3X at 50% each week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….