• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

giving white fish fish fillet to apistos

Csababá

5 Year Member
Sorry for opening a new thread but the search was unsuccesful.
What do you think of the idea giving grated (unknown, sea-living, frozen) white fish fillet that you can buy at any supermarket to apistos like cacatuoides, agassizii, borelli and even other well known community-tank fish like cories, guppies?
I mean things like these: http://www.alibaba.com/product/mpxus-11789811-11091270/Basa_Premium_Frozen_White_Fish_Filet_.html http://chiai.en.alibaba.com/product/244383902-0/Frozen_White_Fish_Fillet.html http://www.alibaba.com/product/anan...Cat_Fish_fillets_Skinless_Boneless_I_W_P.html

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I doubt that there is anything wrong with feeding fish fillets to any basically carnivorous fish as a part of the diet. Just remember that muscle meat (fillets) is not a complete diet. It lacks many nutrients found mostly in the internal organs. Mixed with other products, fillets can be used as a protein filler.

Bilbo

5 Year Member
My latest frozen food recipe has some white fillets that were in the special's bin at the local market. I add a pile of other stuff to it though like mashed peas, prawns, banana etc as well as some multi vitamins.

As Mike already said there is probably nothing wrong with it and most likely very good food but not a total diet on its own.

Csababá

5 Year Member
thx

Thank you very much. Unfortunately, I gave it before asking but now I'm happy that I didn't do as wrong. I don't want to use it day-by-day and I got a recipe that I want to try. By the way, what do you think of this?
-200g frozen shrimp
-200g frozen (black) mussel (meat)
-100g spinach
-1 clove of garlic
-1 teaspoon of red pepper (not hot)
all grated and mixed and frozen again

Maybe you could recommend something that is necessary, too.

Is there a topic that already dealt with this?

Thanks,
Csaba

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Csababá I should think that would be fine. I used to make something similar, but with peas rather than spinach, and a small amount of gelatine. I used shell on prawns, and ground the whole prawn up. I think if you use white fish fillets you don't need the gelatine.
cheers Darrel

Csababá

5 Year Member
Are peas better than spinach? I think, I won't use fillet in the mix since 'It lacks many nutrients found mostly in the internal organs.'/Mike/ or is it the same with shrimps/mussels? What exactly did you use the gelatine for?

Bilbo

5 Year Member
red pepper = paprika? That should be good and supposed to be good for colour too.

I add 1/2 an over ripe banana instead of gelatine but either should be good for binding.

I am not a fan of mussel meat but only because its such a pain to get them out of the shells so I use raw prawns and white fillets or salmon depending whats on special.

Csababá

5 Year Member
I didnt know that anybody knew the word 'paprika'. I thought it was a Hungarian expression. I'd like to use the powder made of it.
Does it really need a binding material. I was told to put the mixture between 2 flat 'plates' and put it (them) in the fridge.
Yesterday I put the grated fillet in a plastic bag, made it flat and put it in the fridge so I'll be able to brake off small pieces for feeding but I haven't tried it. I don't know if it needs binding or not.
I try to buy (small) mussels already taken out from the shell.
I don't exactly know whether I mean shrimp or prawn (my English is fairly poor) since I've got only the recipe so I'll have to ask the sender.

dw1305, did you mean that you use the whole prawn with shell?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My people who make their own fish food add (beer) brewer's yeast to ad vitamin B complex. Others add a multivitamin for the same reason. If you add the fish fillets, prawns (heads and all - not just tails), then the fish food is more complete.

Paprika - Damn, now I'm hungry for some mushroom goulash!

Tedstank

5 Year Member
I have used whole ground menhaden babies....we get schools of them here...approx 2 - 3 inches long. In the shad family...oily, all the organs, scales and bones...They are similar to be using frsh sardines. You can achieve nice fish growth with these types of foods....and obviously start with very small portions to be sure your fish eats it all!!.....this stuff can spoil fast if accidently overfed.

There are several good recipes for discus fish...just substitute fish and shrimp for the beefheart.

Csababá

5 Year Member
mussels nutrients

Do mussels lack those "many nutrients found mostly in the internal organs"?
I didn't want to use the fish fillet it was just a quick rescue idea caused by running out of frozen cyclops (that I can only by in the next city and my car is broken) and having only flakes and grans left.
Do you think I can replace prawn tail with fish fillet if I don't get the whole?

Right now I'm thinking on how to add vitamins to the mix.

I haven't searched for mussels yet but I remember something like these http://www.fishfanatics.co.uk/shop-mussels-in-vinegar.php so i hope there's a frozen version without vinegar too.

Goulash! Hey people out there, you kind of speak Hungarian! ;)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi Csababa,
Like Mike says the whole animal, head shell and all, they are the cheapest prawns ("Shrimp" if you are American) you can buy.

The last lot I made I used Mysis shrimp, as I had about a kilo of wild collected ones, the fish really liked these. I stopped making it with bought prawns because personally I couldn't really morally justify the use of prawns as fish food.

You can also use egg white as a binder rather than gelatine. I froze the mix in a ice cube tray, the food cubes were just easier to handle like that. I added spirulina powder (from a health food shop) to some of the mixes but as far as I remember it didn't make any apparent difference

cheers Darrel

electric eel

5 Year Member
be careful with the garlic.the last 2 batches i made(i make it from ground up nightcrawlers) i'm pretty sure i put in too much garlic and my discus did'nt eat it very well.jack wattley claims you can't hardly put in too much garlic but they have always eaten it in the past.i've found a high quality flake food works pretty well as a binder.i always use a vitamin enriched veggie based flake and skip the real vegatables(i've used them and found it to be messy when you feed it)

electric eel

5 Year Member
was wondering how your food worked out.i think darrel may be right in that if you use fish fillets you may not need a binder.i've had several long discussions with ken from ken's fish and he swears that the secret to making flake food(that stays together well) is using a lot of fish protein for a binder.its a lot different process then making paste food so i'm not sure.i always make mine and spoon it into a very shallow(maybe 1/2" deep) metal baking pan with a piece of parchment paper in the bottom.i stick in in the freezor till its frozen then tranfer the frozen piece to a cutting board and cut it into around 1" by1" cubes.i double or triple freezor bag the cubes.this way i only handle the cube i want to feed at any given time.freezing and thawing and refreezing will cause it to get freezor burned and makes it unpalatable to fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….