• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting P. Taeniatus "lokoundje" back from friend

Joe Gatchell

Haven't posted in a while, just dropping in to say hey... hey.

I sold a pair of P. Taeniatus to a friend before I went back out over the road working more than a year ago. The female killed the male after a spawn but he still has her and this weekend I'm bringing him some bristlenose pleco fry (of which I have a ridiculous abundance) and he's going to give me the female. I plan to put her in a moderately planted 55g aquarium with cory cats and bristlenose plecos and guppies. I'm hoping she may help to control the rampant guppy population in the tank and take care of small fry. I'll post pics when I get her back, excited to have her again as I raised her from a 1/4" fry. Too bad they're not still a pair however.

She is now slightly over 2 years old. What do you think the life expectancy of this fish is? Does she have a few good years ahead?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Joe, I'll send you what you want if you are willing to wait until I return from Peru in late October. I want to make sure that some survive the month while I'm gone. All I ask is that you pay shipping.

Joe Gatchell

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347500854.581889.jpg

Here she is. I've noticed my newborn guppy population has been reduced quite a bit, so she's definitely doing what I had hoped. :)

Edit: Not sure how that attached twice or how to remove one.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347500829.234969.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347500829.234969.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 428

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've just spent 18 hours on miscellaneous planes from Iquitos to Lima to Panama City to LAX. It's 2:44 a.m. I'm sitting in the FrontierAirlines ticketing area waiting for it to open in a couple of hours for a 6:30 a.m. flight home to Denver. I don't know how my fishroom has survived my 4 weeks in the Amazon. Please give me (and my fish) a few days R&R.;)

mike

I've just spent 18 hours on miscellaneous planes from Iquitos to Lima to Panama City to LAX. It's 2:44 a.m. I'm sitting in the FrontierAirlines ticketing area waiting for it to open in a couple of hours for a 6:30 a.m. flight home to Denver. I don't know how my fishroom has survived my 4 weeks in the Amazon. Please give me (and my fish) a few days R&R.;)
Yes no problem. How was the Amazon ?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes no problem. How was the Amazon ?

Great for the most part (my DSLR was stolen early, but Tom was generous enough to share his with me). So I brought back hundreds of phot0s, bug bites (even when using 98% DEET!), and great memories. I also brought back several rare or commercially unavailable species. I lost only 2, thankfully for which I have duplicates. If you aren't especially choosy about where you sleep, what you eat, how often you bathe, and don't mind being hot, sweaty, dirty, wet and bug eaten much of the time I really recommend it!

viejo

5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about the camera otherwise it sounds like my idea of a great time. If you happen to have any more young taeniatus now or further down the road, I would probably be interested.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry to say that I've only 3 specimens left - 2 young males and (I think) a female + a 3-4 year old male. I'll have to see if I can get a breeding pair once the young ones fully mature.

Joe Gatchell

2-4 years is my guess. My old male is getting 'hump-backed'. He definitely doesn't look as good as when in his prime, but then neither do I!:D
Hah, well, I went ahead and ordered some fish from Ted today. Hope to have them by tomorrow or Saturday. I'm excited to get them setup in my 55g planted tank and see what grows out. I'll probably have to move the lone female I have in there out, these are 1/2" fry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….