• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

getting back into it

Sir Sauce

5 Year Member
I was quite active in the hobby 10 years ago. Back then, I kept a wide range of dwarves and am hoping to try to keep it under control to ease my wife into my madness. I am setting a 75 with an opf. The tank will be heavily aquascaped with wood, ferns and Anubias and (safe)rocks. I have kept all sorts of tank combos, but have not tried Crenicichla dwarves in a community setting. I would love to try a group/pair -any sps. that can be recommended?
I will probably be looking at another cichlid-or two, if possible, to mix in. I am thinking of these possibilities- Anomolachromis, Pseudocrenilabrus, Pelvichromis, dwarf Geophagines. Any thoughts?
I would probably give up any ideas of Crenicichla if Teleogramma brichardi were available. I had a couple of lucky accidents breeding a wild pair and did manage to get a couple of fry out there to people to work with. This was and always will be a wish fish. I have doubts that they would mix well with the pikes due to similarities. If anyone has thoughts to the contrary, make my day!
I am also looking for the obscure West African dithers. Yellow Congos, Barbus jae, etc. Any sources that are reliable? I used to go to That Fish Place to find most of my wild stuff that I couldn't obtain through the shop I worked at. Is this still a viable option?
Sorry for the long post. I have been fish deprived for nearly a decade. You all would understand. Mike C.

Sir Sauce

5 Year Member
Long time, no latin

Pelvicachromis, not Pelvichromis, though it does roll off the tongue better.

I did read a couple of older posts about Teleogramma brichardi. I kept two pair in a heavily decorated 75 with lots of tetras and debauwi(?) cats and a cory colony. I would have to say that I did not find them to be very aggressive, even when they had fry. Protective-yes. Mean-no way. I found fry twice that were 1/2 inch bouncing around the tank with mom and dad watching over all. I never saw eggs or spawning. I ended up with 5 youngsters from the first and 4 from the second. I missed 1 on the second occassion and it ended up co-existing in the tank with the adults just fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….