• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

gallons?

apisto85

5 Year Member
ok so as a non-amerikan person i have no idea how much litres a gallon is :lol: .so can anybody tell me

Randall

5 Year Member
Metric vs. English Sytem of Measurement

Please pardon my ranting, but when I was in grammar school, circa 1812, we were taught the metric system because the US was "supposed" to switch systems. Well, my friends, it's 2003 and we are still saddled with an antiquated system of weights and measures that even the seminal English abandoned years ago!

Wouldn't it be much easier if the US conformed to world standard?

Thank you so tolerant souls.

Randall Kohn

farm41

5 Year Member
Randall,

You and me both wish that would happen, in 1976 when I was 10th grade they said in 2 years we would be switching over. How I wish that would have happened. We are now and have been sloooooooooooooowly switching over, so slow that it is very costly to us. On the farm we have to stock bolts and nuts in SAE and in metric, have wrenches in both. Weights for seed containers are in both, chemicals and fertiilzers in both units. Much of the equipment I have are both metric and SAE. Some cars and pickups are metric on the body and frame, then SAE on the engine. So we are working on equipment with both sets of tools. What a mess. :roll: :roll:

aspen

5 Year Member
hehe, canada switched, then got half way through and stopped. i buy pipe in feet, then the wiire i pull in, i buy in metres. some blue prints are in metric, and others are in feet. i can work in both pretty easily, but the younger kids have a really hard time in feet and inches, since they never learned the british system in school.

metric is a lot easier when you get the hang of it. and yes, it would be easier to just get it over with and change it all.

we all talk about gallons. in fact i never worked in u.s. gallons till i got into fish. canada uses imperial gallons.

the one thing you guys in the states HAVE to get into, is robertson screws. (square head screws.) they are the best, but i believe that the original robertson wouldn't give up the patent. phillips and flat head are pretty crappy in comparison. torx is not worth the effort, imo.

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
We've been into square head for quite a while, they are the best, you're right. I use mostly #2, but some #3.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:) We have switched!!!! In teh medical profession and on highways withing 30 miles of the Mexican border.

Metric is still taught and used in the schools. All my students use it.

Woodsy

5 Year Member
In Aus I thought we all used the metric system, that was. untill I started working at the shop. Now when people come in and tell me that their tank is so many meters long, I'm like "...and that's how many feet?" Personally, I thing the old measurement is better, and I've only been using since I finished high school. It's more easy to visualise if you ask me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….