• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fry in my 125g tank

DvanK

My apistos are breeding in my 125 planted tank every two months or so. Is it too risky to move the fry to another tank? Water chemistry in my other tank is probably way different than in my display tank.

Here are few pics of my mother with fry.
125 fry (1 of 4).jpg
125 fry (2 of 4).jpg
125 fry (3 of 4).jpg

And here is my 125 tank

124 04--2013 (1 of 1).jpg

Attachments

• 125 fry (4 of 4).jpg
    125 fry (4 of 4).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 341

Neptune's Neighborhood

5 Year Member
I usually fill a container with the current tank water and use airline tubing to siphon the fry into the container and then acclimate them to those conditions. I always have to double check the pH is similar in both tanks because that is the biggest risk for me offing an entire spawn.

Do you have a hospital or an extra 10 or 20? You could just siphon display water into it and then transfer the fry and do partial water changes until it's near the same conditions of the other tank.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
My apistos are breeding in my 125 planted tank every two months or so.
Lovely tank, are the other inhabitants eating the fry? If they aren't, and you don't mind too much about not getting a huge number, some should survive in there.

My suspicion would be that once they've hatched, and are free swimming, they are going to be difficult to syphon out.

Once or twice I've removed the mother and cave successfully before the eggs hatch, and she hasn't abandoned them.

cheers Darrel

DvanK

Congratulations on the fry - and the tank! That is stunning!

Thanks

Hi all,
Lovely tank, are the other inhabitants eating the fry? If they aren't, and you don't mind too much about not getting a huge number, some should survive in there.

My suspicion would be that once they've hatched, and are free swimming, they are going to be difficult to syphon out.

Once or twice I've removed the mother and cave successfully before the eggs hatch, and she hasn't abandoned them.

cheers Darrel

Fry are all gone I have bunch of tetras, espei rasboras, black crescent molly -offsprings supposed to be food source for apistos, 3 inkas, 5 other apistos, bunch of khuli loaches, pleco, 3 Corydoras so yeah plenty of mouths to feed.

Female and the most dominant male have been put in 30g breeder tank. Hopefully next month or so I'll get a new batch to work with.

Thanks

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Remove the eggs and spawning substrate to a small tank filled with water from the main tank. This assures some fry to be future replacements.When presented with this opportunity to raise a brood artificially you have everything to gain by trying.

DvanK

Eggs were eaten two days later so I didn't get a shot to move them to another tank. Let see if I can get them to spawn again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….