• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fry Apistogramma cacatuoides Peru

FIL

5 Year Member
Hello,

A very nice swim of fry cacatuoides Peru in a water at 19 °C, PH=8 and KH=4 and a non-filtered tank. Would it be mandatory to heat up the tank for this species? Given the present experience, undoubtedly not . A small photo of breeding. No video, my analogue camcorder works poorly (cleaning the heads).

dsc02410.jpg

and diaporama picasa

https://picasaweb.google.com/113605...CacatuoidesF2Perou?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Based on the results of Römer & Beisenherz's (2005) paper on temperature and sex determination of apistos, my guess is that you will end up with 90%+ females at your present temperature. Since sex is not determined at the time of spawning, but during the first 6 weeks post-spawning, I would suggest raising the temperature to around 26°C in order to get more equal number of males.

FIL

5 Year Member
Ok Mike ;), thank you for the precision. I will tell my friends.

Truly, I have just wanted to know if this species could reproduce in a low temperature. To confirm definitely what tell Römer & Beisenherz's, I am going to raise them in this temperature and you will inform about result sex ratio .

Nicolas

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This paper has been published several times in English & German. You can get a pdf copy from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1996.tb01467.x/abstract. It was originally published in print in 1995 in German by Birgit Schmettkamp Verlag in the book "Fortpflanzungsbiologie der Aquarienfische". It was published in English in 1996 in the Journal of Fish Biology, v. 48, pp. 714-725 (available as a pdf in 2005). It is also found in "Cichlid Atlas 1".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….