• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Frustrated with British Apisto Stock

Borelliiguy

When I first got into apistos, the stock and species I could find have largely remained the same. However, over time I've noticed that the stock has taken a dive. I'm seeing a lot of morphed and stunted specimes being offered up for sale and I find it frustrating. For instance, pver the weekend I saw a cac that had a mouth similar to a ducks beak. No lol, not bright and yellow. I mean the mouth of the cac was deformed to the point where the corner of it's mouth went back further than I've seen on any fish. And there was a tank full of them.

This isn't about what stock looks like in the lfs as opposed to at home on a good diet. Not at all. This is about the species being bred into oblivion...

I'm in the market for a good borellii pair but so far the best any lfs near me has to offer is complete deformed or morphed in some way to the point where even fins are barely visible on a species that loves to flare. I've looked online and have seen the usual suspects selling inbreeds as "wild caught"

Anyone know of any store that might sell a good pair of borellii online and willing to email me a pic before the transaction is made, I'd be grateful. Extremely grateful.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is always a problem with poor breeding practices. The best way to get real quality fish is to do what some crazy people do (me included) - go collect them yourself. I'd look at Filipe Cantera's Aqva Terra eco-travel site or something similar. These are designed for 'arm chair adventurists' so not a lot of 'roughing it'. I've seen some spectacular A. borellii come from hobbyists who collected in Uruguay. Expensive? Yes, but don't think of it as buying fish. Think of it as a fun vacation with the added benefit of getting some nice fish for free.

skoram

Aside from the cost of the trip, isn't it also quite expensive to have the fish transported back to your home? My wife will be taking a business trip to Brazil in September ... I wonder if I can convince her to collect some fish for me on the way back ... :rolleyes:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Part of Felipe's services is shipping fish back to you after you return home. Import laws vary with country, so it's best to check. I wouldn't recommend your wife try to collect fish in Brazil - unless you don't want to see her for about 10 years.:p

ErtyJr

Part of Felipe's services is shipping fish back to you after you return home. Import laws vary with country, so it's best to check. I wouldn't recommend your wife try to collect fish in Brazil - unless you don't want to see her for about 10 years.:p

How much does his collection trip cost mike? And is there a limit to how many fish are shipped for free?

skoram

haha! given that she won't even touch the water in my tanks, convincing her to go fish collecting in the wild would be quite the tough assignment. someday I will follow your suggestion and go on a collection trip to SA, but for now, it's just a great dream :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….