• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

frozen food for sub-adults

edwliang

5 Year Member
i have got a pair of sub-adult form bitaeniata.

i want to know which frozen food has got higher nutrients:

1. frozen blood worm;
2. frozen brine shrimp;
3. frozen daphnia.

i havent decided which frozen food to buy for better growth of my bitaeniata.
any advice please?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
1. frozen blood worm;
2. frozen brine shrimp;
3. frozen daphnia.
I honestly wouldn't use any of them unless the only other option was dried food. With frozen Daphnia & Brine Shrimp you end up with mainly exoskeleton, with little nutritional value, and frozen Blood worm is implicated in quite a few cases of unexpected death. Daphnia cultures are a bit of work, but quite possible, and in warmer climates mosquito larvae are another good option. I keep Grindal and California Black worm cultures*, although there may be problems with feeding too large a proportion of these <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/1st-d-maculatus-spawn.12389/>, which I found out to my cost when I didn't follow Gerald's advice.

Would "decapsulated brine-shrimp" be an option?.

*I've now found the perfect low maintenance way of culturing California Black-worms (Lumbriculus variegatus). I introduced some Asellus and Black worms into the bottom of a canister filter (Eheim 2224), and when I came to clean it, there wasn't much mulm, but the introduced livestock had done really, really well.

When I clean the filter I just take and handful of worms out now, put the rest back in and store the ones for immediate use in a 2 litre margarine tub 1/3 filled with water (with a small amount of Ceratophyllum). When I want to feed the black worms I take the Ceratophyllum out of the tub, swirl it around in a beaker and the pipette out the Black-worms (which congregate in the Ceratophyllum) with a transfer pipette (below). You can "store" the worms almost indefinitely like this, and by the time you need some more plenty more will have bred in the filter.
800px-Plastic_Pasteur_pipette.jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

edwliang

5 Year Member
Hi all, I honestly wouldn't use any of them unless the only other option was dried food. With frozen Daphnia & Brine Shrimp you end up with mainly exoskeleton, with little nutritional value, and frozen Blood worm is implicated in quite a few cases of unexpected death. Daphnia cultures are a bit of work, but quite possible, and in warmer climates mosquito larvae are another good option. I keep Grindal and California Black worm cultures*, although there may be problems with feeding too large a proportion of these <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/1st-d-maculatus-spawn.12389/>, which I found out to my cost when I didn't follow Gerald's advice.

Would "decapsulated brine-shrimp" be an option?.

*I've now found the perfect low maintenance way of culturing California Black-worms (Lumbriculus variegatus). I introduced some Asellus and Black worms into the bottom of a canister filter (Eheim 2224), and when I came to clean it, there wasn't much mulm, but the introduced livestock had done really, really well.

When I clean the filter I just take and handful of worms out now, put the rest back in and store the ones for immediate use in a 2 litre margarine tub 1/3 filled with water (with a small amount of Ceratophyllum). When I want to feed the black worms I take the Ceratophyllum out of the tub, swirl it around in a beaker and the pipette out the Black-worms (which congregate in the Ceratophyllum) with a transfer pipette (below). You can "store" the worms almost indefinitely like this, and by the time you need some more plenty more will have bred in the filter.
800px-Plastic_Pasteur_pipette.jpg

cheers Darrel

thanks Darrel, btw, do you know the nutrition facts of cherry shrimp. i have a tiny tank breeding and raising cherry shrimps. and i have been feeding my bitaeniata with them. i found my apisto is in a good shape and very aggressive and gains a lot of colour(red). i think feeding cherry shrimp may be a very good source as supplement.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
do you know the nutrition facts of cherry shrimp.
I don't, but I would imagine they would be pretty similar to commercially caught/farmed and eaten shrimps, with the advantage of being fresh and "shell-on" <http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4609>.
i have a tiny tank breeding and raising cherry shrimps. and i have been feeding my bitaeniata with them. i found my apisto is in a good shape and very aggressive and gains a lot of colour(red). i think feeding cherry shrimp may be a very good source as supplement.
Yes I found the same, details here: <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/otos-vs-cherry-shrimp.11808/#post-63977> & <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/i...you-feed-your-apistogrammas.11325/#post-61308>.

In either "South American Dwarf Cichlids" Author: Hans J. Mayland & Dieter Bork or "American Cichlids I - Dwarf Cichlids" Author: Horst Linke & Dr. Wolfgang Staeck (<http://dwarfcichlid.com/Book_reviews.php>) it talks about Apistogramma eating "crayfish" in black-waters where there were no mosquitoes. I was intrigued by this, and eventually found that it is poor english translation, and "crayfish" were actually Macrobrachium spp. shrimps.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….