• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fresh Water Brine Shrimp

georgedv

5 Year Member
I am interested in what experiene anyone might have with fresh water brine shrimp. The little I know is they have just as good of a nutritional value as their salt water cuzs.

Also, if anyone has a source for eggs on these little critters.

Thanks

g

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I am not familiar with a freshwater Artemia that is commercially available. There is a product called CyclopsEze that is a frozen (or freeze dried) freshwater copepod. It has excellent nutritional value, but it is not alive and will not trigger the 'wiggle response' some apisto fry need to eat.

ste12000

5 Year Member
I can only assume you are asking about Fairy shrimp...Ive used them once and have a interesting article in a 1969 copy of TFH (I collect old books and mags, at times like this they come in handy!!) It is a two page article on the freshwater fairy shrimp which is closely related to marine brineshrimp, If you want to send me your full email via PM ill send a scan over to you..

As for sourcing them! the asians are about the only people i know of that use a lot of them, a few large breeding establishments are selling annual killifish eggs on Ebay, they offer as package including fairy shrimp as a first food for newly hatched fry, i would suggest you make contact and see if they can be bought in larger quantities?

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
One seller sells the fairy shrimp eggs on their own but they are very expensive to me; $14.99 for 100,000 eggs!

Compared to Brine shrimp; I get 550gram for £30! This makes the fairy shrimp especially expensive when you think that you get about 300,000 Artemia eggs per gram!!!!!

georgedv

5 Year Member
I will have to check the artical and see if they are called fairy shrimp. If I understood correctly, they are the size of artemia and are hatched in a similar fashion.

I am not positive...so give me until tomorrow.

thanks

g

georgedv

5 Year Member
Sorry for the delay Iwas looking for an artical but it was a Q & A in a trade mag. You are correct it is the Fairy Shrimp.

I will try to get sme and see how hard it is to start my own "cultures". I agree that $14 for 100000 eggs is a bundle.

Thank you everyone for your input.

g

fishme.

5 Year Member
i tried them a couple of times but their hatching rate was really poor and if i remember correct they were slightly bigger than bbs

anyway if you try them i would like to know what happened

georgedv

i searched for the pet shop you asked me and unfortunately doesn't exist anymore but if you remember the name of it i could learn if it is moved somewhere else , i am sorry for the delay of my answer

georgedv

5 Year Member
Fish me, I think the place is called Stournara. It was a two floor corner shop. It's been over 20 years. I hope to be in Athens in August. I'll find out then

g

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….