• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Food for Aphistos

wasabi8888

5 Year Member
Hi all

I just started keeping aphistos... i was just wondering what do you feed your aphistos...

I alternate between Tetra color flakes and frozen brine shrimp...

what other suggestions do all of you have?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Scientific studies indicate that most of the slender body apistos are micropredators that feed on tiny aquatic crustaceans, mites, & insect larvae. The deeper bodied forms tend to prefer eating slightly larger foods - including fry if they can catch them (they are terrible at hunting fry, however). I use a mix of flakes (few apistos like them unless high in meat & ground fine), small pellets (Tetra Bits - & frog brittle when I can find it), & frozen crustaceans (brine & mysis shrimps), but their primary diet is live baby brine shrimp. Even large apistos, up to 4"/10cm eagerly eat them. They get fed bbs every day. Chopped or new-born earthworms, white & Grindel worms are great for 'rounding out' skinny fish or females that you want to fill with eggs. I avoid aquatic worms (tubifex & black worms) because of the possibility that they are secondary carriers of fish parasites.

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Scientific studies indicate that most of the slender body apistos are micropredators that feed on tiny aquatic crustaceans, mites, & insect larvae. The deeper bodied forms tend to prefer eating slightly larger foods - including fry if they can catch them (they are terrible at hunting fry, however). I use a mix of flakes (few apistos like them unless high in meat & ground fine), small pellets (Tetra Bits - & frog brittle when I can find it), & frozen crustaceans (brine & mysis shrimps), but their primary diet is live baby brine shrimp. Even large apistos, up to 4"/10cm eagerly eat them. They get fed bbs every day. Chopped or new-born earthworms, white & Grindel worms are great for 'rounding out' skinny fish or females that you want to fill with eggs. I avoid aquatic worms (tubifex & black worms) because of the possibility that they are secondary carriers of fish parasites.

in addition of what mike say , i give them , live daphnia(Pulex or magna), live gammarus (aka scuds), and live young glass shrimp (i breed them)

bacarospo

5 Year Member
Scientific studies indicate that most of the slender body apistos are micropredators that feed on tiny aquatic crustaceans, mites, & insect larvae. The deeper bodied forms tend to prefer eating slightly larger foods - including fry if they can catch them (they are terrible at hunting fry, however).

It sounds much interesting!
Have you a specific scientific article about it?

Regards

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
One of the better references is: Goulding, M., Carvalho, M. L., & Ferreira, E. J. G. (1988). Rio Negro, rich life in poor water : Amazonian diversity and foodchain ecology as seen through fish communities. The Hague: SPB Academic Publishing.

Romer's Cichlid Atlas 1 also has a discussion of food.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….