• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fish room images

philip wood

5 Year Member
Is anybody willing to put some of there photo's of there fish room's on here ? The reason I ask is I need to be inspired for the new build I am planning to do in the spring.
Or even does anybody know any youtube footage I can take a look at ? maybe something that I have never seen before. I usualy just type in fishroom build or dwarf cichlid fish room so does anyone know of any other.

Regards

Phil

aarhud

5 Year Member
I checked out several of my saved links and it looks like none of the pictures work since photobucket did their change up. What a waste!! I'm really bummed about that.

Off the top of my head. You can check out Ted Judy's channel on youtube. He has a few videos of fish room tours and also has shown two of his own fish rooms. He has a TON of information that will help you along. Everything from Air supply to building racks. Link here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC4f3MsYc_QotfycxAHQLog

Greg Sage at SelectAquatics as a nice room:
http://selectaquatics.com/fishroom.htm

SwissTropicals had a nice webpage about his fishroom,but I can't find that anymore.

philip wood

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I have been following Teds Site for a few years now. But was not aware that Swiss Tropicals even had a video of there fish room I thought he was concentrating more on his filter design than breeding fish, So maybe that's why he has taken it off the web.

But thanks for the link to Teds fish room it still has a few interesting vids I want to see.

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi,

Maybe this depends on how secure they feel.
My main tank is almost full of Pistia and my Apistos spend their time in every level.

Attachments

• Pistiat.jpg
    Pistiat.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 457
  • Pistia forest.jpg
    Pistia forest.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 451

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
That is true. If there aren't enough hiding places on the bottom, they will live among dense roots of floating plants like you have. Even in the wild, apistos have been found among the roots of floating meadows. Still, being a geophagine, their preference is to be a bottom dweller. In the wild, I rarely saw an apisto more than a few centimeters above the leaf litter, where they could quickly hide from danger.

Bart Hazes

My latest tanks have been long (up to 6 foot) and deep (up to 2 foot) but 10" or 12" inch tall. However, if you keep a group of apistos and subordinate individuals need a place to hide then in tall tanks they can go up and hide in the floater roots where the dominant fish doesn't seem to look as much or perhaps it doesn't care about fish not competing for substrate territory. Someone told me they floated black PVC pipes at the surface for fish to hide in, something I intend on trying.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Short Tanks:
1) more tanks on the wall
2) cuts down on aggression by limiting the line of sight-the aggressive fish, often the dominant male, can't gain a longer line of sight by moving up in the water column. These means that leaf litter in the tank provides plenty of safe hiding spots and I don't need to worry about providing as many vertical plants or other structure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….