• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fish on a plane

Dose anyone have any expeareance transporting dish with you on a plane?
I'm in seattle and I found some female cacatuoides and endlers (endlers, for sale, rare) and I know they won't have any near where I live, so I need to bring them with me, shipping is not an option, this also give me an opportunity to try out my breather bags I got.

Ttw

5 Year Member
My experience is to put your fish in a styro and then in a cardboard box in your checked luggage. I saw a regulation that would allow you to take live fish on your carry-on. Doubt you could get away with that today even if the regs say you can.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Interestingly.... a letter has been produced by an official in TSA that states that fish in bags of water are not security risks, and that they are not subject to the 3 oz. rule. That means that TSA is not permitting fish in carry on. I have just recently gotten a copy of this letter, and I am in the process of getting the information verified (trying to locate a regulation number to reference). When I have more information I will post a copy of the letter and regulation on the forum for all to use.

In the mean time, try sending a letter to the Q&A section of the TSA website. Maybe they will send you a copy of the letter, or something similar, of your own.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Right now the best way is to ship fish in your check-in baggage. Don't say anything to the airline personnel; just check the bag. The TSA will probably open your bag to see what the odd 'thing' in your bag is. They'll let it through with just a little note saying that they opened the bag, but that's all. Just make absolutely sure that everything is multi-bagged and waterproof - and can't be crushed. The airlines get a little peeved if a piece of luggage leaks. That's how I brought back fish from the ACA recently with not problems or losses. Worked the same for me from Peru and the fish were even in a styro!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Here is the text from the TSA letter I have:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Transportation Security Administration s (TSA) policy for carrying live fish onboard a commercial airline.
Travelers passing through security checkpoints may carry liquids, gels, and aerosols if these are in containers 3.4 ounces or smaller. All of these must be placed in one, quart-size, clear plastic, resealable bag and must fit comfortably in the bag (3-1-1 rule).
There is an exception to the 3-1-1 rule for live fish. If the fish is alive and swimming in the liquid, then the liquid is not an explosive. In addition, the container holding live fish may be larger than 3.4 ounces. The fish must be swimming in water that is contained in a clear, plastic or glass container that is spill proof. This will allow the Transportation Security Officer to visually inspect the fish at the screening checkpoint.
Also, TSA recommends travelers contact their airlines to inquire about any additional guidelines the airlines may have regarding traveling with live fish. For the most current information on TSA security screening procedures, visit our Web site at www.tsa.gov.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….