• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First foods

Bev N

Apisto Club
5 Year Member
I use microworms for the first two days then I start feeding them bbs along with the microworms. I do that for about 2 days and then feed the bbs only.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I use newly hatched brine shrimp but some microworms as the first foods for a few days is useful for some Apisto fry that run on the small size.
A very good first food for most Apistogramma fry is San Francisco Bay brand brine shrimp nauplii. They hatch out significantly smaller than Utah brine shrimp but are a much more expensive brand. I only buy it in the ~2-3/4 oz size can since I only use it for a few days while I buy Utah eggs by the pound.

Hassles

5 Year Member
Cyclop-Eeze

I feed Apisto fry Cyclop-Eeze and Microworms. This has worked wonderfully for me. Once they've grown I feed Blackworms (live and freeze-dried) and semi-crushed cichlid granules.

electric eel

5 Year Member
i used to use infusoria or green water but lately have been using vinegar eels.tried microworms but seems like i always ended up with some culture medium in with the microworms and it seemed like my water was going bad quickly.i found that dry foods spirulina powder etc also fouled water quickly.the vinegar eels are so easy i wish i had started using them a couple years ago(would have saved some fry i lost for sure)i keep 2 gallon jugs of the eels going all the time.i give the culture a tablespoon of sugar once a week or maybe everyother week and now there are so many in there that when i seperate them into water the water almost looks like diluted milk cause there are so many vinegar eels in there.i couldn't possibly begin to use all the eels in the cultures(this is good cause i have ran out right in the middle of things in the past and had to improvise)i give them bbs on the 3rd or 4th day but will mix in some v.eels for maybe the first week to give the slower growing fry in the batch something to eat.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Vinegar Eels in the UK

Hi all,
TA aquaculture have them listed in the UK.
<http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/Living%20Items.htm>

I haven't bought anything from them, but the owner is a an enthusiast and they come highly recommended for food, sponge filters etc.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….