• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First attempt at breeding Cacatuoides

WeehawkenFish

Hey everyone, I'm new here, really excited to take a crack at breeding. I bought a beautiful pair of cacatuoides about 10 weeks ago. After a few weeks of flirting and health, my original female developed Popeye. I tried several different meds and nothing worked, and she unfortunately passed a couple weeks ago.

It was very upsetting. But here I am now with a very healthy male cacatuoides, and tomorrow is the day my LFS is supposed to get a new dwarf cichlid shipment. After some research I've decided I'm going to add two females this time. My question is, since he's probably about 2-3 months older than the females, should I grow them out for a couple weeks in my 2nd tank? I set up a 2nd tank this week so that, in case I'm successful, I have somewhere to remove the male. But I'm thinking maybe it's wise to put a little more size on them before I add them to his tank? Thanks.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
As long as the females are at sexual maturity (at least 4-5 mos of age) the size difference shouldn't matter. You should quarantine the new fish, however.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would. Maybe, if the tank is adequate, set the females up in a quarantine tank that will be their future breeding tank. Then, after a month or two - and the females appear healthy - add the male to the females' tank. By that time the females will have established individual territories and a 'pecking order'. When the male is introduced he will not be in his old territory (the entire tank), so he will be less dominant at introduction.

WeehawkenFish

@Mike Wise thanks, this was my initial plan. But after some thought I decided it might be wise to try the breeding in the original tank because it is heavily planted and very well established. Whereas the new tank doesn't have a lot of plant coverage. I also know my male apisto has done very well in the established one so it feels like the right call. But I suppose I could do either way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….