• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

firemouths

jman0303

5 Year Member
are firemouths real aggresive.If so are they aggresive towards each other or other tanks mates

specJ

5 Year Member
the firemouth, Thorichthys meeki formally cichlisoma meeki, hailing from mexico is a cichlid and so forth can have a rather mean disposition. Most of its aggression is directed towards other firemouths if they are present but can and will be directed towards tankmates when spawning. The firemouth may seem like it's overly aggressive, but from my experiences, they are a very non-confrontational species. They will stare down eachother and have bouts of flaring towards one another, but this has usually never come to deaths in any of my fish. They are a species that would rather bluff their way out of a battle than stand and fight. Once one has established itself as the alpha, the others will fall back in order. This only continues till the alpha has paired up with a female, if present, and they begin to spawn. Juveniles will get along till they are about 6-7 cm, at which point you should start to notice courting. They are a splendid gorgeous fish and are easy to breed. good luck. I hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….